Wednesday, October 18, 2006

THE WONDERS OF GOD

Tonight we are sleeping in Las Vegas, but yesterday we set out across New Mexico and Arizona. The morning began with clear skies, but soon the winds picked up and dark clouds appeared on the horizon. We were in for it, or so we thought. Although strong winds buffeted our truck, the storms remained north and south of us and we made our way across the prairies and deserts bathed in sunshine. God has done this for us from our first day of travel. I don't know why, but I'm grateful.

There was so much to see and to savor as we moved through the dry lands in the middle of the country. New Mexico was a mix of broad prairies, rocky mountains, and red rock formations. I loved the colors of the landscape and Greg and I decided to incorporate many of them into our new family room. We picked up a few pieces of pottery and art work that will remind us of our time here.

We saw so many interesting things. I wanted to stay and explore our history and the unique sites and to study what God had made, but I was forced to keep moving. We stopped briefly at the Petrified Forest in New Mexico. It is an amazing place where centuries of history have been laid down. What a privilege to be able to revisit our past. I could have spent days there.

Yesterday we arrived at the Grand Canyon. There are no words to describe what I saw, but I will make a measly attempt--magnificent, majestic, frightening, humbling, breathtaking. It is a place layered with colors and textures. A place where I felt God's presence, a place only He could have created. And a place that made me feel small and at the same time significant because the God who created this wonder also created me. Even now when I think about it I feel tears well up.

I wanted so badly to spend more time. I needed to find a quite place overlooking the grandeur where I could be quiet and contemplate God and what He must have been thinking when he created this glorious place.

I had to move on. This is a working trip and I'm nearly out of time. So, we packed up and hit the road. Tomorrow we will begin the last leg of this adventure.

My next message will be from my office at my home up on my mountain in Oregon.

Blessings,

Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I have promised ourselves a trip to the Grand Canyon . . . someday!

    I pray you have a wonderful journey home--may the Lord bless you both. And, hey, the site looks beautiful. Hope your roses are still blooming; I miss my northwest garden!

    Thanks for the "wanderer's" journal,

    Kacy (Barnett-Gramckow)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis