Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tips For Triumphant Living--Don't Hang On Too Tightly.

Life changes without warning, sometimes in ways we never could have imagined. Some changes are “good” and some not so good. I find peace in knowing that God is never caught unaware and that He will hold me tight while I weather storms.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I recently discovered that I must let go of the home I’ve lived in for twenty-eight years. Sorrow was my first reaction, then anger, and then the dreaded question of “Why?” set in.

God is so good. He gently led me through my emotional muddle. He didn’t reign me in, but kept reminding me that He loved me and that He knew how much it hurt to move on.

I’ve found my way to the truth, at least what I can see of it thus far. (God is never done with refining) So much of my sorrow came from the sad fact that I’m hanging onto a possession rather than clinging to Him.

God gave my husband and I our home on this beautiful piece of land. We’ve had many wonderful years here. But this place doesn’t really belong to us. It is God’s. I love living in the Oregon foothills with the wild flowers, towering evergreens and wildlife, but for reasons I don’t yet understand, and don’t need to, it’s time to move on. Clinging to a place will only hinder me. It’s time to get excited about what God has in store for me now.

If I believe He has a plan and that His ways are always best, then even if He plants me in the midst of a briar patch I should be content. The truth is that it’s not where I live or what kind of house I live in that matters, but it’s who I am in Him. God created me; He’s the one who cares for me and loves me (in spite of all my imperfections).

Life is short. We dare not waste a minute, especially if worrying about possessions fritters away precious moments. We must hold worldly goods lightly and let them go when asked. God has a plan. We can rest in that.

So love Him and know that our true treasures are heavenly not worldly.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 AM

    Dear Bonnie,

    Thanks for sharing your heart and wisdom with us. Your trust in God and willingness to follow wherever He leads, even so quickly after disappointment, gives glory to Him. I'll be anxious to see what He has in store for you! I'm thinking good things.

    Blessings,
    Julie Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    How wonderful to open my blog this morning and read your kind and encouraging words.

    Thank you for your kindness. God's blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis