Thursday, October 08, 2009

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Remember Your Destination

My brother, Bruce, wrote to me this morning to tell me that a dear friend of his had died. This man had valiantly fought brain cancer for several years. Bruce told me he was at peace because of his assurance that his friend now resides in heaven.

We're all bound for heaven... or hell. There is no eternity here on earth. In the midst of living out our lives do we give much thought to where we'll one day spend our eternity? If you don't know, then I'd like to introduce you to Jesus Christ, the Son of God and our Savior. He allowed Himself to be ridiculed, beaten and then hung from a cross where He took on the sins of the world. His sacrifice assures every person who believes in Him a place in heaven. God's plan is not complicated. All we need to do is believe.

Those of us who know we're bound for heaven one day need to keep a couple of things in mind. Nothing here can be carried into heaven with us. Have you ever seen a U-haul trailer being towed behind a hearse? There's good reason why not--nothing goes with us.

Since we know that's true, why do you think we live as if possessions hold some sort of eternal value? I don't believe we live with this mind set intentionally. We just forget our final destination. None of the "stuff" we value in this world will matter. What does matter are people. Wouldn't it be better to open our hands, release our possessions and instead use our hands to embrace others?

I Corinthians 13:12-13 says, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

It's all about love. Hug someone today.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. I will try to. Thanks. (And I love the quote, but I have to admit, I'm trying to imagine a funeral procession including a U-Haul trailer now...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder, Bonnie. Thanks. I'm going to go find my husband and hug him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, that is a pretty silly image. And even sillier is the way we hang onto "our stuff" as if we can take it with us.

    I'm guilty of it. I'm trying to separate necessity items from the things that don't matter and emotionally let go of what doesn't matter. Not so easy--anyway not for me.

    Blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea, Julie. I'm going to grab my husband, too. We've been together forty years and still there haven't been enough hugs. :-)

    Bless you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was your hug? We just celebrated our 42nd anniversary and I just think he's getting cuter by the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, congratulations--42 years is amazing.

    And I don't think I've ever had a "bad" hug from my husband. It's all good. :-)

    Grace and peace to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis