Friday, November 06, 2009

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Honor God's Creation

When I gaze at a mountain range in the distance I see God. I see Him in the mirrored reflection of a quiet lake. And I am awed by Him when I stand on a sandy ocean beach and gaze at waves marching toward shore. I love what He has made, for it offers me a glimpse at His greatness.

However, when I look in the mirror I often forget that the person staring back at me is also part of God's creation. More times than I'd like to admit, I undervalue this piece of his design.

We can't deny the value of God's creation nor His love for us. Psalm 139:13-17 clearly states our worth. It says, "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous--how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered."

I love these verses! They remind me that God tenderly and thoughtfully created me. When I read them I know that I'm precious to Him. I can feel my Father's arms around me.

There is nothing that compares to the love of our heavenly Father. Even our love for our own children is a weak comparison. I love my parents and I'm grateful for all they've done for me. I admire them and want them to be proud of me. I wouldn't even consider dishonoring them. Why then, would I dishonor God?

It's not something I do on purpose, but every time I belittle myself I dishonor Him. I am--we are--His. We were created for His pleasure. If we appreciate our Father and all He's done for us, why don't we take better care of ourselves?

I haven't done such a great job. Self care is not one of my strengths, but is more often a source of personal sin. Physically I'm out of shape and over weight. I have no excuse. Plus I'm terrible at guarding my time. I say yes when I ought to say no, which robs me of the rest I need, and steals time I could spend with my husband and family and friends. Ultimately I have little or no time to re-energize.

In our super charged world it's difficult to set boundaries that create personal health and well-being. If we want to change course where do we begin?

I believe we start with God. Time with our Lord offers strength and direction. It helps if we have a friend to pray with us and who will hold us accountable to our goals.

Secondly, with God's help, we need to pinpoint the problem. Is there something we detest about ourselves? We believe in forgiving others; we need to forgive ourselves as well. Do we lack energy? If so, why? Is the drain physical, emotional, or spiritual? Or is it a combination of all three?

After we've sought out God, friends, even our doctor and have taken an honest look at ourselves, the next step is to face what we've found. Be honest and change what needs changing. If we don't we'll continue to get what we've always gotten.

There are some things to consider. Am I holding a grudge against myself? Do I need more sleep? Less food? Healthier food? Do I spend enough time in God's Word? Do I love others? Do I serve too much or too little? Do I allow the world's worries to steal my joy?

Each of our circumstances are unique. I cannot solve the mystery of your lack of self respect. God can.

If we seek the truth, He will reveal it.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Bonnie. Thanks for your example of transparency. I was with you all the way and recognize my own need for more self discipline is many areas of life!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing, Julie. Being transparent can be scary, but I'm convinced that's what the Lord wants me to be. So . . . I try.

    I've still got so much to learn--frightening and exciting. This Christian walk is never boring. :-)

    May He bless you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis