Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Never Thirst

Most of us know the story about Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4. Today, I want to focus on one verse -- 14, which says, "But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

While reading from "My Utmost For His Highest" I was reminded of this verse. Christ offers us an everlasting spring of life. We need only to believe and accept God's gift. I've experienced this flowing spring, but I've also known dry places. And the question comes to mind--why do we experience stale, empty days?

If our spirits feel stale there are some questions we can ask ourselves. Am I giving all of me to God? Have I opened myself up to Him in every way? Do I try to hide parts of myself from Him? (Of course that's impossible--God knows even the number of hairs on our heads). And what is the source of my strength? If it's anything other than the Lord it's inadequate and the result will be the dwindling of freshness in our spirits. Of course the well will never run dry--eternal life is just that, eternal. However, we can limit the blessings God longs to bestow upon us.

I was particularly struck by Oswald Chamber's statement, "If you are depending on something else as your source of freshness and strength, you will not realize when His power is gone." That was a stunner--we won't even know. Not until we need His strength, that is. A frightening thought. It makes me feel defenseless and vulnerable.

May we seek Him above all else, rely on him completely. And recognize that we are nothing without the Lord. Until the day I draw my last breath, I pray for the freshness of the spirit and that I will be filled and overflowing. When the spirit of flows, others will know God's great love.

The never-ending supply of life comes from God, there is no other source. So, tap in. God rejoices over everyone who comes to Him.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis