Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- God To The Rescue

We get ourselves into some of the worst situations. When we step into trouble, we don't usually intend to jump into a mess. Making wrong choices because of earthly desires can get us lodged between a rock and a hard place--the consequences of rebellion. Being stuck is usually painful, and getting out can be agonizing.

I've been in such a place, more than once. I've purposely made choices I knew God wouldn't approve of, but have gone ahead anyway . . . because I just had to have it(whatever it was at the time). I'm watching someone whom I care about deeply go through such a place right now. My heart aches as I witness the agony. But I find comfort in knowing that God knows it all. There's no situation, no heartache or joy He doesn't know about. And when we're in a tough spot He's there to rescue us. But . . . we've got to reach out and take hold of His hand.

While I was in prayer this morning I came across Psalm 91:14, which says, "The Lord says, I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name." I love it when God takes me to a passage that goes straight to my heart. Oh, how I love Him!

Although God will rescue us, recovery is not always easy or without complications. But what is our choice? We can count on being overrun by trouble when we refuse God's outstretched hand. Still, we sometimes clap our hands over our ears and our hearts and refuse to listen. The consequences? God lets us have our way.

Why do we desire our will over His? I don't have all the answers but I know we're just human, fallen people. Sometimes our hearts are full of Him and love for others and then there are times when we're more like a two-year-old throwing a tantrum. We want what we want when we want it. We don't have God's perfect vision, or know His precise plan, but that doesn't change the fact that He has one. If only we'd remember and trust.

Sadly, when we refuse to listen and turn away from God suffering can be the result of our rebellion. It can be acute. And the rescue is not necessarily easy. Letting go of what we cling to can be excruciating. And we think--If only I had listened in the first place.

But all is not lost. God will set us on solid ground where we can experience His best and learn to walk a path that produces joy, contentment and an abundance of fruit.

I love fruit--don't you?

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis