Monday, June 06, 2011

Quiet Moments With God -- A Glimpse


Who do you love--your spouse, children, parents, grandchildren, best friend? As the saying goes, "Isn't love grand?" We can probably come up with a list of those we love. How about one for the people who love us?

Many are alone and lonely. Cast off souls have always been part of this world, but in our present generation there are so many more. We're too busy, too self absorbed. We may be building careers or hiding out in homes sitting in front of televisions or computers.

What is love supposed to look like? In my reading this morning I found myself in 1 Corinthians 13, familiar passages for many of us. The chapter speaks powerfully about what love is and what it is not. We make choices about how we love--career vs family & friends, addictions vs connections, self vs others.

The chapter ends with this statement, "Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love."

God is love. He has always been and always will be. Therefore love has always been and always will be. His love is incomprehensible. But if we look around and see what He has created--feel His presence--trust in His Son who was given for us--we get a glimpse. How great is God's love!

When my first child was born I was given a glimpse of this kind of love. My son was only minutes old when I held him in my arms. I gazed down at this miracle of life and my heart was flooded with a love I'd never experienced before. I would sacrifice my life for this child, and I understood that we were forever bonded.

I don't think we'll fully comprehend God's kind of love until we stand in His presence. In the meantime what do we do with it? Do we refuse the love He offers? Accept it, but go on ignorant and alone? Or do we accept, cherish and return His love and offer it to others? We choose.

No matter what choice we make it doesn't change God. He'll love us no matter what. But if we refuse Him we won't be His child, we'll simply be His creation.

Choose God as Father. Never be alone. Always be cared for. And loved even when we do the very worst thing.

It's a wonderful thing to be cherished. I think I understand. For the greatest of all things is love.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie,
    Thank you for your words of encouragement and challenge.
    I would like to give you The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award (details are on my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, you are such a sweetheart.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis