Monday, November 26, 2012

Quiet Moments With God -- This is the day the Lord has made.

Over the past few weeks, I've watched posts of thankfulness pop up on Face Book. They've been interesting, poignant and even inspiring. Some are just plain fun. They got me thinking about thankfulness. Have I given enough thought recently to all I have to be thankful for? Or has my mind strayed to the things that keep me distracted or weighted down?

We've just passed through a season that is supposed to be all about being thankful. I admit to having had difficulty focusing on what that truly means, but the world has quieted a bit and this morning when I found time to spend with my Lord I felt Him tugging me toward thoughts of what it means to have a thankful heart. And I asked, "What does it really mean?"

I went to my devotional and received a glimmer of an answer. God's timing is impeccable.

A portion of the devotional said this. "To protect your thankfulness, you must remember that you reside in a fallen world, where blessings and sorrows intermingle freely. A constant focus on adversity defeats many Christians. They walk through a day that is brimming with beauty and brightness, seeing only the grayness of their thoughts."

I felt a prick of conviction from the Holy Spirit and continued reading, moving on to scripture and then prayer. As I prayed I sought the answer -- what is thankfulness, really? I was barraged with thoughts of all the things I have to be thankful for--a beautiful home, the sunshine streaming through my window, a loving family. It is good to be reminded of  these things. But I couldn't help but think it has to be more. My heart went to God. I am His. He created me. He loves me. He stands by me even though I am SO imperfect. I am His child, always and forever, saved  by His grace.

"How great is the goodness
you have stored up for those who fear you.
You lavish it on those who come to you for protection,
blessing them before the watching world."
Psalm 31: 19


And then I got it--

I am grateful for God and ALL His wonders.

Thankfulness is being amazed about big things like the stars in the sky, the earth that rotates on its axis and God Himself. It is cherishing the little things, like a warm heating pad, a comfy chair and the laughter of children.

Tonight as I drove home from town, the sun was setting and mists rested upon the hills. The moon was already big and round in the sky, and I was flooded with the realization that I live an extraordinary life. My home is in one of the most beautiful places on this planet. I have been married to the same man for forty-one years and we still love each other. My children love one another and they love me. AND they love God. I get to hug my grandchildren every day. My mother is still part of my life--and we love each other too. My life overflows with love.

I remembered how I became a writer. The way was filled with pain. But God made a way and opened every door. I love to write! Thank you, Lord, for making it part of me and part of my life. I've met the most dedicated and gifted people through writing. Many of them I call friends. I cherish these extraordinary people.

If our vision becomes narrow and focuses only on what we see in the darkness of our minds we will miss out on the beauty and uniqueness that is us. Life is beautiful, precious and to be cherished. 

I thank God for making a place for me in this world and then planting me in just the right place at exactly the right time. For every day is the day the Lord has made.


Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 PM

    Beautiful, dear Bonnie--and God smiled on you when you posted this for Him. Your life is for Him, and He is well aware of that and well pleased. And ya make me happy and thankful too! So thanks for this special post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower. Just joined. I'm over @ http://awell-wateredgarden.blogspot.com
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti. You are such a dear.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annette. So glad to meet you. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:29 PM

    Beautiful thoughts on giving thanks. The one thing God has taught me, and is still teaching me, is to have a thankful heart even in the midst of the storm. I lost my husband and soul mate to a brain tumor 15 years ago right after our 31st anniversary, but God has been with me every step of the way and even though this state of my life is not what I had pictured it to be it is still a blessed life and I can still sing "How Great Thou Art" with an overflowing heart. Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. Thank you for your writing and sharing God's love though it.

    Ann Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, thank you for writing your "book". I love it. It's awesome to hear how in the midst of adversity your faith remains strong.

    May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a fake Tag Heuer few stone dial options — for a hefty premium of around €8,000 in Europe, which equals around $9,000 in the US. The 18k white fake Audemars Piguet gold version gets a pink opal dial, while the 18k yellow gold, as seen above, receives a “slightly veined turquoise fake IWC decorative stone dial” (Rolex’s words for it). The indices are diamond-set — and we know these fake Franck Muller tiny diamonds always make for a substantial premium on a Rolex watch. I’m a fan of the fake Vacheron Constantin color of turquoise and the way it generally looks on watches, but on this occasion, both this and the pink opal look distinctly fake rolex feminine — and I do kind of wish at least one of these stone dials were replica rolex for men.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis