Friday, December 14, 2012

Thoughts For Today -- Feeling Lost in a World Gone Mad?


This morning, when I sat down with my morning coffee to watch the news my heart groaned. Another school shooting. This one in an elementary school in Connecticut. An elementary school? I could hardly believe what I was watching. How could it be? Innocent children. Teachers. Dead and injured.

My mind went to the terrified children, the parents and families. Lives devastated. I weep for them all.

The world has gone mad. Just two days ago, innocents were shot down in a shopping mall in Portland, Oregon. Today's shooting is just one more tragedy in a long, long list of  brutal and senseless murders of the innocent. What has happened to the soul of America? How can we change the sickening and terrifying path we travel? Where do we begin?

I dropped into my comfy chair, in my toasty warm home, which is closed off from the world, hidden in a quiet place on this planet . . . but I didn't feel safe. My thoughts went to those who might break into my "safe" haven. I thought about my children and grandchildren who step out into the world every day. How can I keep them safe?

Jesus, my spirit whispered. Jesus.

Heavy-hearted, I picked up a devotional that I read every day. The first line said this, "REST IN ME, MY CHILD, forgetting about the worries of the world." And this. "Hold My hand in deliberate dependence on Me, and I will smooth out the path before you."

God met me, reminding me that He's always with me. He reached out, speaking to my heart. But my mind continued to ask, "How do we find rest in the midst of a mindless, brutal world that pounds on the door of our sanctuaries of safety?"

The devotional continued, "Focus on Me--Emmanuel--and let My living Presence envelop you in Peace. Tune in to my eternal security, for I am the same yesterday, today, and forever."

I was reminded that no matter how unruly and frightening the world may become God is the same, now and forever. His promises have not changed. He has not changed. We can rely on Him to remain with us, to offer His arms of love, His feet to guide, His strength to help us stand. He will never desert us.

His Word is a love letter to His people. Read it. And know that He is God. "Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take." We will never be lost when God leads.

Ezra, the priest wrote, "Your Word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." 

Only God knows the way, through this mine field called life. Let Him lead you.

My prayers go out to the families whose lives were so horribly changed today.


May you find grace and peace in God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:28 PM

    There is so much truth in what you have written today. It seems like we are living in a world gone mad. As I was reading your blog, a scripture in my Bible study this morning came to mind - "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.' Isaiah 26:6. God has just reminded me that the only peace we can have is the peace that comes by our trusting in Him. My prayers also go out to those that are having to face what no one should have to face.

    God bless you as you share His Word.

    Ann Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thank you for the scripture. I love it! Isaiah is one of my favorite books of the Bible.

    We need to continue to pray for one another and for our country.

    God's peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis