Monday, January 21, 2013

Quiet Moments With God -- Listening & Waiting


Good morning.

My day started early. Uncharacteristically, I woke at 4:30 AM. With my mind and heart full. I finally climbed out of bed at 5:15. Some days are just meant to begin early.

God was speaking to me. That's why I'm up. I tried to shut out His voice. I wanted to sleep. That sounds awful, I know, but I am SO human. But here I am, working out what God had to say to me. Often times, working on my blog posts is a place where I wrestle with God or try to get whatever it is that He's saying to me.

This morning when I woke up, my mind went directly to some new and exciting plans that I have. But as I thought on them I realized that I really hadn't spent much time talking to God about MY plans. The joy and anticipation of them had swept over me before He and I could talk about whether or not they were something He wanted. Again, I had decided to step out on my own.

I have a familiar sense that I may be going off half-cocked, which was brought home to me when I went to God's Word for direction and my Bible "just happened" to be open to Proverbs 2, which says, "My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God."

And so I am doing my best to "tune in". The ideas I have are not necessarily bad ones, but the question is are they what God wants for me, right now? I can't know that for sure until I've taken some time . . . to listen. So now, I'm taking a deep breath, stepping back, rethinking and praying. And then I will wait . . . on Him.

There are things that I can do in preparation, steps that can be taken. But I'm not going to dash off down the path I've set, not until I know that its the same path God has chosen for me.

I do know that no matter where He leads I can count on surprises and adventure.


Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie


3 comments:

  1. I'm so guilty of running ahead and THEN asking God if it was from HIM. Thanks for this wonderful scripture. I need to take time to wait and to pray!

    God bless you with graceful listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, TC. I'm really trying to hear Him. If I do things my way I usually make a mess of things.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so needed to hear this today, Bonnie. Love Proverbs 2!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis