Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Quiet Moments With God - In The Moment



This morning I glanced through my journal and discovered an entry from back in March. At that time, I was having a terrible flare up with my back and had poured my frustrations and anxieties onto the page. Part of what I'd written was about my uncertainty over the future and what it held for me, even though I wasn't there yet.

It is true, that in recent years my chronic pain has intensified. Most days I try not to go to the place of what if's, but sometimes they creep in and I end up in the wrong place - a state of worry over a time in the future, which I haven't reached yet.

The truth is there is almost always something we can worry about - How will we manage our finances - the illness of a loved one - finding time to complete a list of "must do's", and on it goes. We even waste time worrying about things that can't be changed and lots of stuff that just might happen. When I shine a light on all of that I wonder, "Why do I do this?"

This morning while reading God's Word and praying, God gently reminded me, once more, that all that worry isn't pleasing to Him, plus it keeps me from relishing the present moment that He's given me.  Each minute spent anxiously trying to figure out what is to come means I've missed the moment I'm in - the right now of living. And each of those moments are here and then gone, moments we cannot reclaim. 

Each is precious. 

What would our life look like if we refused to allow anxiety about our future rip into us and instead embraced the right now's and praised God for every one of them? We might enjoy all those extra glorious moments. This morning while praying I felt God's presence - powerful and full of grace. I wasn't thinking about tomorrow or the next day, only Him. With it came wonder and joy. 

Matthew speaks about worry in Matthew 6:25 - 27. He says, That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life - whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

I had to stop at the last line. The answer, of course is no. 

Let's try living just one day in the moment. I mean really try. Every time our mind wanders away from enjoying  the right now of living drag it back and think of the present circumstance. Even if it's not so pretty, at least it is just for the moment. 

Let me know if you try this. What did you discover? Wouldn't it be amazing if we could live every day like that?

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:44 PM

    This is exactly what God has been speaking to me. Worry is sin. His Way is TRUST ME = JESUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling over your comment, Anonymous.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis