Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Quiet Moments With God - In the Middle of a Muddle



Sometimes our days seem to be filled with decisions. We have choices - what will I have for breakfast - which book should I read next - do I really want to watch American Idol? Of course having choices is better than not having choices. And the ones I've mentioned don't affect our lives much one way or the other, but there are decisions that are truly major and even life changing.

Just as no two people are the same, neither are the ways in which we make decisions. Take baking a cake, for instance. Some like to weigh and measure every ingredient while others simply toss in the elements and trust that the results will be good.

I live somewhere in the middle of those two options. Probably most of us do. However, I presently find myself befuddled. I've got a relatively big decision to make about a writing project, one I've invested hundreds of hours of my time. The results of all my hard work were not what my agent or I had expected and now I need to decide what to do about what we both feel is an amazing story. 

At this point, all I know to do is to talk to God about it. I think back to the day when I felt called to this project. I was certain it was the Lord's will for me, but like us all my heart and mind can be misled. No matter how I got here I am in a quandary.

Wrestling through this decision I found myself in the midst of 1 Corinthians, specifically verses 1:18 - 2:5. Powerful verses. 

Paul speaks about God's wisdom versus the wisdom of the world. Verse 20 says, "Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" And then in 2:4-5 he says, "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

Wow. There he goes again. The apostle Paul always speaks right to my heart. 

But I still don't know what to do specifically about this project. I guess I'd better begin by resting in God's power not man's wisdom. And not my wisdom.

I do not have an answer to my dilemma, but I know who to listen to if I want to find the right direction. Certainly seeking wise counsel is a good thing, but ultimately I need to rest in the Lord - wait on Him to show me the way I should go.

While I wait, leaning on The One who knows the beginning and the end of all things I'm asking for your prayers.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:47 PM

    Where God guides, God provides... He's got ya in His hands no matter which decision you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all have my prayers. I sure understand.

    I had to make a big decision last summer - to drop the pain meds that kept me able to deal with a nastily fatal illness, but made me into a person I didn't like.

    I replaced them with a violently masochistic exercise program, to prove to myself, I suppose, that I could endure yet more than I was already dealing with.

    It may have been a dumb idea - but I like myself more.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-talk-to-your-husband.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Patti. I needed that reminder. There is His best, but no matter what God stands with me and uses everything in my life for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, how courageous of you. Has the exercise program been helpful? God's hand is on you. His arms are around you. His spirit is in you.

    Praying.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis