Monday, June 22, 2015

CELEBRATING THE FATHER





Father's Day came and went this week. In my family, we celebrate the fathers. I'm married to a good one. In the midst of our celebration, however, I'm also aware that Father's Day is difficult for some of my grandchildren. They have fathers who deserted them, leaving behind broken hearts and not knowing what they've lost. But there is a binding up, a healing process in the works in those little hearts. I can see it. 

This year, some of my grandchildren celebrated their stepfathers. One grandson gathered up scrap lumber and made a bench - his first effort - for his stepfather. It didn't cost anything more than his time, but it's value is greater than gold. Another grandson created a poster that included family photos and a touching poem about about how special his stepfather is. 

Blessings for this grandmother.

We each in our own way recognize the day - good or bad. I'm one of the lucky ones. My father was a good man who loved his family. He was honorable and worked hard. He could be tough, but was always fair. I knew he loved me. I never doubted it. He passed away many years ago and I miss him still.














Many of you do not have that same experience. You may have grown up without a father or under the brutality of a ruthless hand. 

I'm so sorry. I wish it had been different for you. I cannot imagine your sorrow.

There is a Father, one who will never let us down. He won't desert us. And will always love us, no matter what awful thing we might do or have done. 

We may not be able to celebrate an earthly father, but we can celebrate our Heavenly Father. He chose us. We belong to Him. He loves us.

John 1:12 - 13 says, "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God - children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."

Wow! That is something to celebrate - a child of God. That's me. Loved by The One who created the universe. I am unable to love in such a way, but I have witnessed that kind of love ... from Him. 

Thank you, Father, for loving me just as I am.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis