Friday, January 05, 2018

She Was Special





This is a photo of my sister on her last trip to New Zealand. She loved New Zealand because her daughter and grandchildren live there. This was taken after she had completed a difficult hike. She always loved a challenge.

I wanted to post sooner, but my heart has been hurting too much to do it. My sister Myrn died on December 22nd. She was diagnosed with stage IV renal cell carcinoma in June. We knew the battle would be hard to win, but hoped for more time.

Even now when the truth of my sister's death hits me my heart catches and I lose my breath. It doesn't seem possible. She was the one who was supposed to still be puttering around her garden in her 80's or 90's. Again, I am reminded that God's plans are not necessarily the same as mine.
Myrn was one of a kind, handcrafted by God. She was born in Yakima Washington on March 1, 1954 and was number four out of five children.

She was intelligent, well educated, and a gifted vocalist, musician, and artist. She loved God's Word and was a skilled teacher and mentor. She was a dedicated servant of the Lord.



Myrn's garden revealed how she loved to make things grow. She never tired of fishing and was always up for a new adventure. Her love of family was powerful.

                    
                   

When God called her and her husband, Steve, to Naukati Alaska, where they were to pastor a church she took a huge risk, but bravely trusted God. I've always admired her courage.

She grew to love Southeast Alaska, Naukati and her new church family on Prince of Wales Island. 



Whenever possible she traveled to see family and friends and made many trips across the globe. I always cherished our time together.











Myrn and I were close, but we couldn't have been more different. She was adventurous and always looking for fun. She was the one with the bright smile  on her face who never met a stranger. Mom always told us that if someone knocked at the door Myrn would charge across the house to greet whomever it was and tell them all the latest family drama before they could step inside. 

Even though we were different we were good friends. We spent hours playing ourdoors - red light/green light - Mother May I - Duck Duck Goose - baseball - football. We loved to ride horses, but we didn't have any of our own so we would hang out at our neighbor's place and hope they would take pity on us and let us ride their horses. On summer days we would lay out and tan, but I couldn't take much sun and usually gave up after 30 minutes. Back in those days, Myrn could spend hours tanning.

Indoors, Myrn and I loved playing out dramas with our Barbies and Ken dolls. And we thrived on the competition of board games.

It wasn't always easy to be Myrn's sister. She was So good at everything - an excellent student, musician; she was even a good seamstress and cook. I suppose I should have been jealous, but mostly I was proud of her. I'm still proud of her. 

Myrn was special. She had a way of brightening up any event.
She was creative and helpful, hard working. She was the one we knew could pull off an event. When our mother turned eighty we had a fabulous party. All us kids helped, but Myrn was the one who pulled it together.
 December 22 I lost my best friend. Myrn was the one who knew everything about me. She was the one I could call ... anytime. She'd have a word of encouragement or advice. She'd pray with me. And she prayed for me every day. 

Myrn was a gift, not just to me but to everyone who knew her. It doesn't seem right that a bright light like my sister has been called home so soon, but I know that above all things she loved and trusted God. She loved His Word. In Eccleciastes 3 it says, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance ....

Myrn lived and loved and served. And for reasons I can't understand her time here is finished. Now she is dancing and singing and serving in heaven. I wish there was more time to listen to her sing. More time to admire her newest paintings. More time for morning chats over coffee. And more time to laugh and to be quiet while we rest in the shade on a warm summer day.

Myrn trusted God and I know she understands what it means to grieve. Her daughter Crystal went to heaven eleven years ago. They are together now. Myrn wouldn't expect those who love her to let her go lightly, but she also wants us to get on with life and to fulfill the purpose God has given each of us. To trust Him with our lives. 

My heart is shattered, but how blessed I am to have known her and to know that this farewell is only temporary.

I had a dream a few days ago. I dreamed most of my family, including Myrn, was at a very crowded restaurant. By the time I got to the table there was no place for me. Myrn cleared a spot and pulled a chair up next to her. When I sat down I woke up.

At first I was pierced to the heart, knowing that it wasn't real and that Myrn was gone. But after thinking for a few moments I saw more clearly -  Myrn is saving a place for me at the table, the Lord's table. One day we will be together again.

On her last visit here late this summer she longed for time in the sunshine. She took this photo.




I'll be seeing you, Sis.



10 comments:

  1. She was only a few weeks younger than I am. What an amazing person! Monster hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was my younger sister. Thank you so much for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, may the Lord comfort you and give you His gracious touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica Petty11:36 AM

    This made me cry.... Myrn was a really special person and I loved her a lot. I also loved how I could call Myrn and talk to her about stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. She was a good listener.

      Peace to you.

      Delete
  5. you are missed myrn you were a inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing she's meeting some of those she inspired.

      Missing her too.

      Delete

ShareThis