Wednesday, April 24, 2019

God's Creative Lessons





My dog, Henry, is special. He's intelligent, full of fun, and courageous.  However, Henry is also full of mischief and although he's been easy to train he is not always well behaved and it has been a daily challenge to teach him good manners. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he is a seven-month-old Labrador Retriever with all the energy, strength and mischief that is common to the breed at this young age. Some days I wonder if it was unwise to have chosen to adopt a lab puppy, especially at my age.

One recent morning, he was up to his usual mischief. He'd stolen my television remote and thought it was great fun to destroy it. And even more fun to keep it away from me. He wasn't about to give up his prize. After much effort on my part to rescue the remote, I was near tears and pleading with Henry to take pity on me. I tried to reason with him and told him, "Henry, I love you. Why are you doing this? I picked you from a whole litter of pups, knowing you were the one for me. I've loved you. I've taken good care of you and made sure you are well loved and well fed. I've spent countless hours training you, and I've been patient with you (most of the time). I know you are special and I have great hopes for you." 

And then ...

I heard the voice of my Heavenly Father. He said, "Bonnie, I created you and I chose you. I have loved you, watched over you. I have given you everything you need for health and life. I have great hopes for you. And yet, sometimes, just like Henry, you go your own way. You refuse to listen to me."

I stopped trying to convince Henry to cooperate. My frustration melted away. As my countenance softened, so did Henry's, and he gave me the remote.

How often I'm like Henry. And as he trusts me, I also can trust The Father. If only I will listen to Him. He loves me and always wants what's best for me. And even when I'm being stubborn and willful He doesn't give up on me. He always forgives me. 

How wonderful is my God. 

If I am willing to listen, He teaches me, sometimes in creative ways, even using my mischievous puppy, Henry, to help me see what is real in life and to help me better understand how deeply I am loved.

Is He speaking to you in a creative way? Be listening. 

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Yes, what a good reminder for us all--we are all Henrys! Pete 'n Sarah had a lab puppy named Althea. She was the same. One time returned to toilet paper alllll over their apt. She ate all the light bulbs!!! All their shoes. Yet she was a honey--and they had her for about 15 years full of love. She changed as she aged all for nothing but joy--may we do the same! And Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Althea sounds like a special dog. I know that Henry will remain strong and playful, but he will also learn to be more obedient. He will keep on loving us even when we fail. Dog's offer us a picture of grace. I hope I can do the same for others.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie, I came here through Susan's blog.. what a delightful story. And yes, God speaks to me in very creative ways :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis