Thursday, September 19, 2019

Consumed by Cravings





I love to begin my mornings by spending time with the Lord in a devotional. I've been reading from a book called Embraced, 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close, written by Lysa TerKeurst. It was a gift from a group of women at the Church on the Mountain in Welches, Oregon, where I spoke at a retreat in 2018. They loved me well, and I am enjoying the devotional they gifted to me.

This morning's reading was especially moving for me. When I feel overwhelmed and tears come I can't help but share. So that's what I'm doing, sending off these precious words to you. Here they are:

 "A few years ago, a weight-loss company came up with a brilliant advertising campaign. Maybe you saw some of their ads. A little orange monster chases a woman around, tempting and taunting her with foods that obviously aren't a part of her healthy eating plan. The ads perfectly capture what it feels like to be harassed by cravings all day long.
    While I've never seen this orange monster chasing me, I've felt its presence. I've felt it for food cravings, but I know that we all feel it for something. Sometimes, many somethings.
    Attention and satisfaction. Like me. Approval and appreciation. Follow me. Money and power. Give me. More, more, more. Sometimes it feels like the chase will never end, the cravings will never be filled ... that nothinng will ever be enough.
    While the orange monster is a great way to visualize cravings, those ads fell short in their promise to really help a woman. The weight-loss company's theory is to teach what foods are more filling and encourage consumption of those. But does that really help overcome cravings?
    We shop and spend  money on things we don't need. We still eat the chocolate pie when we're full from our dinner. We scroll through social media, checking our pages and counting our likes and comments. We indulge in our guilty pleasures, hide our secret sins, and lie in bed wondering if this is it. Is this it?
    What is actually going on here?
    I believe God made us to crave. Now before you think this is some sort of cruel joke by God, let me assure you that the object of our craving was never supposed to be food or the many other things people find themselves consumed by.
    Think about the definition of the word craving. How would you define it? Dictionary.com defies craving as something you long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for. Now consider this expression of craving: "How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God" (Psalm 84:1-2).
    Yes, we were made to crave - long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for - God. Only God.
    Sweet sister, does this resonate with you?
    Have you chosen to pursue God, to follow Jesus? He created you to know Him, to be fulfilled more deeply by knowing Him than by any other experience or pleasure this world has to offer. When we admit our need for Him, when we humble ourselves and confess our sin and ask Him to be Lord of our lives, that's where the journey begins. He saves us in that moment, and then we can begin the process of allowing Him to fulfill our cravings and make us eternally, completely, and wholly filled.
    Is it easy?
    No.
    Is it worth it?
    A thousand times yes."


It is my prayer that these words will uplift and encourage you as you walk the path laid out for you by God.

How lovely is the Lord's dwelling place where he waits for us and then welcomes us into His presence.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie



2 comments:

  1. That was all so true Bonnie thank you for sharing.I often wonder why God loves me I'm so selfish and stubborn.I am so thankful for Gods forgiveness and his mercy's I've been trying to read his word daily and when I do I have much peace it's those I dont make time.ugh any way thank you again for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my privilege to share inspiration and truth here on my page. Try not to be too hard on yourself. None of us are perfect. We all struggle with weakness.

      May the Lord bless you.

      Delete

ShareThis