Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Best Things in Life






Some of the best parts of our life are the simple things. Sometimes I get to thinking that if only I could do something spectacular, like make a trip to Paris or be part of the crowd in Times Square on New Years Eve that life would be better. But that's not true. Of course those things would be fun, but life is made up mostly of the simple things. We just need to remember how much they mean to us.



A few weeks ago I heard about a musical production that a friend of mine, Kristen Johnson, was part of. It sounded like fun. However, in order to attend it meant that my husband and I would have to travel four hours north to Vancouver, Washington. I'm the kind of person who likes to plan events way in advance so this would mean I'd have to be spontaneous. But, since my husband and I had recently decided that we needed to do more fun spontaneous events this seemed a perfect way to jump off into a less structured lifestyle.

So, a week later we loaded up our travel trailer and hit the road. 




Once we arrived in Vancouver we stayed in a rather non-spectacular RV park, but it had the basic necessities. After a short rest we dressed for the show and headed to a place called Beacock Music. It was the most spectacular music store I've ever seen. On the upper floor they had a small theater for musical productions.


We settled into our seats, not sure what to expect, but glad we had come. The program was heart-warming and impressive! There was a small band, Kristen Johnson, who played the part of Patsy Cline and Laurie Campbell-Leslie who stepped into the role of Patsy Cline's friend. She was perfect - talented and so funny.

The production was extremely well done and the actors and musicians were extraordinary. Kristen sang twenty-one of Patsy Cline's songs. What a lovely and powerful voice she has. I had no idea she was so gifted.

We laughed and cheered and even cried. By the time the play concluded my face hurt from smiling so much.

We had the best time and it didn't require taking a plane to Paris or standing among crowds in Times Square. We only needed to look around at the fun and talent in our own part of the world, and then be willing to get out and enjoy.

Life can be wearisome if we get stuck in a rut of "do-nothingness". As we age, it takes more effort to explore and taste life. But it's not as hard as it may seem. There is a lot to enjoy in our own back yards. 

Greg and I were gone only a couple of nights, but we were left with memories that will last a life time.

Thank you Kristen and all those who took part in the production, which was a fund raiser for local music programs. I know it required many hours of rehearsal and lots of hard work, but what a blessing for all those who attended, like Greg and me. 





I only got to spend a few minutes with my friend, Kristen, but we did manage to get in a hug and a photo. God bless you for warming my heart.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful couple of days, Miss Bonnie. I am thrilled that you have your partner to share these special times with. Love, Barbara

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis