Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- As Little Children

I often stand on my deck and look toward the back of our property where my mother-in-law used to live. I miss her. Verna shared our lives for many years and went to live in heaven five years ago. She was a special woman.

One of the things I loved most about her was her childlike heart. Matthew 18:2 – 3 says, He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Verna was no Bible Scholar, but she loved and trusted her Lord. She knew hardship and sorrow, yet never lost her love and trust of others. Although she sometimes displayed a crusty exterior her heart remained tender.

The day she died, she’d been gardening and was found lying among her flowers, looking as if she’d lain down to take a nap. In the end there’d been no struggle, only childlike faith.

All these years later, I catch glimpses of the kind and loving woman who simply believed and trusted. I can see her being caught into our Lord’s arms where He held her close. Verna's uncomplicated faith reminds me of what Jesus asked of all of us. We don’t need to be theologians, we simply need to believe.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis