Friday, August 14, 2009

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Star Gaze

A few nights ago a spectacular meteor shower was forecast. My daughters and I decided we’d stay up late to watch and include the children. As the day went on, my grandchildren’s anticipation grew. In their minds I think they envisioned a fireworks display.

As darkness fell over our country home, we double checked the best time and location for viewing and set out our chairs on the patio. Wrapped in blankets we settled down to watch the show.

It was a very dark night with brilliant stars and an occasional flash from a meteor. A light appeared just below the tree line on the ridge above us. A brilliant half moon climbed into the sky. Its light brightened the heavens and dimmed the meteor show that was just beginning. Still, we saw flares of light in the night sky. One brilliant meteor burned brightly as it shot in an arc across the heavens. After that the display was more hushed, less spectacular. There was a sense of disappointment. We’d expected more.

Sometimes life is like that—our expectations are greater than the reality. Does that mean we have cause for disappointment? Maybe. But more likely we simply need to change our mindset.

The meteor display wasn’t what we’d expected, and yet we’d been given a spectacular view of God’s handiwork. And while we sat together gazing up at the cosmos wonder and gratitude filled us. My grandchildren were full of questions about the universe and God. They talked about their adventures and their fears. We made wishes and shared hopes and dreams. We hugged, laughed, and told stories, and we felt like part of God’s creation.

It was a simple evening spent on a patio gazing at a night sky, and yet it was so much more—it was a night filled with love. God surprises us. He is love and sometimes that love spills over into our lives when we least expect it.

His gift of that precious night will go into my book of memories. And the amazing thing is I can go there and open that book whenever I wish and relive the wonder. Memory making is important--they will be there when we need them most.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. At least you stayed up, Bonnie! We didn't. I think sometimes it takes God's other shooting stars, children and grandchildren, to spark enthusiasm in us as we grow older. I never cease to marvel at how fresh everything looks when seen through a child's eyes. It inspires me to cultivate the soil in which my inner child still dwells. Come out, come out, wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    You are so right! I'd love to have a child's vision of life. My children and grandchildren have taught me so much.

    I've got to find my inner child. It's been hiding far too long.

    Blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis