Monday, February 22, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Hidden in the Crevice of a Rock

Recently during a Bible study Exodus 33:19-23 came up for discussion. Most likely we've all heard or read about this encounter Moses had with God. This time, while reading through the verses, God revealed something new to me, something He knew I needed to see. When I contemplate what happened between these two I'm so deeply touched that tears of thankfulness and love overtake me.

When Moses met with God he asked to see his glory. God's response reveals the Lord's tenderness and offers a picture of our God we rarely see. Scripture says, "The Lord replied, 'I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live.' The Lord continued, 'Look, stand near me on this rock. As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will removed my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen.'"

As I contemplate God's tenderness toward Moses I am bathed in the warmth of true love. I can envision God gently setting Moses in the crevice of a rock and then with a father's compassion He covers Moses with his hand, making certain he is safe. Moses sees God only from behind as He passes by, and yet he is transformed.

This encounter gives us a glimpse of what is to come. Our Heavenly Father cares for us with a love we cannot comprehend. One day we will see Him face to face and we will fully experience His radiance. He loves us with the same intensity that He felt for Moses. He is with us every moment, placing his hand of protection upon us. His love will never diminish.

We're always and forever His.


Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis