Thursday, February 04, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Live Sacrificially

Living sacrificially is a hard thing to get our hearts and minds around. I don't necessarily like it, particularly when the sacrifice of someone else means a sacrifice for me. After all, I wasn't called to that sacrifice . . . was I?

I recently received a video from my sister giving us a short tour of her new home. She and her husband gave up their comfortable home(only one mile from mine), family, friends, and their church to live in a remote area of Alaska where they serve God. They love their new life, but the sacrifice is real and sometimes painful for them as well as for the people they left behind who love them.

In the beginning I was mad. I love my sis and I loved having her close by. I knew God had other plans for her and that I was out of line. I was convicted again and again about my selfishness. I needed to embrace God's plans and let go of my own. I'm happy to say, God has managed to change my heart and though I still miss my sister I'm thrilled with what God is doing through her and her husband.

Serving God always requires sacrifice. Recently in a Bible study discussion we talked about the apostle Paul and his sacrifice. He served God with unwavering dedication. Even while imprisoned he held onto his calling and proclaimed the true faith to unbelievers. And he penned letters of instruction and encouragement to the churches and their leaders. In First Timothy he charged Timothy to fight the good fight and to hold tightly to the gospel of grace.

Paul's life is a good example for us. We've all been called, in one way or another, to serve. Service requires sacrifice--of our time, finances, maybe even our home. We have no excuses. There is always something we can do. When we put aside self God reveals His will and His way.

There is a saying often referred to in Weight Watchers--"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Getting to the place called "thin" takes sacrifice, but it's a good place to be.

I urge you dear friends, don't fight against God, fight with Him. Stand up to evil. Share the gospel. Encourage others. Love one another. Sacrifice may feel painful for a time but glorifying God through our lives brings true joy and satisfaction.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie,

    Your blogs always minister to me just where and when I need the exhortation.

    I love you, dear lady. Thanks for being available to let the Lord speak through you. I hope to see you this August and catch up!

    24,126 words into my new story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miriam. I'm looking forward to August. I love the summer conference!

    It is always so encouraging to hear from visitors to my blog. It's my prayer that I say something that matters.

    Thank you for being an encourager. The world needs more people like you.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Miriam, I missed your last line. Wonderful news about your story. Hope I'll get a chance to read a bit of it this summer.

    Hugs,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis