Thursday, December 15, 2011

Topic of the Day -- Don't Forget To Sail


When I was young I never imagined that as I aged that I'd be tempted to skip out on special events. After all, they made life richer. What I didn't understand then, but do now is that for some of us going out can be a challenging process of--taking it easy during the day so that we have the energy we need and the physical ability to attend a party, picnic, concert or whatever. Once you arrive at a happening stairs can be a problem, seating another challenge, the number of steps you'll have to take . . . And if you have allergies you will pray that the person next to you isn't wearing the "wrong" perfume or that they are a smoker.

There are a whole list of issues I never considered years ago. I just went where and when I pleased. And I loved it. These days I stay home more than I want and I sometimes feel like I've been shut out of the fun.

Last evening our local public school held its annual Christmas band and choral concert. I probably wouldn't have attended, but my grandson plays a trombone in the Junior High band. How could I miss?

The entertainment began with the elementary school band, moved on to the Junior High and then the High School bands and closed with the High School choir. Parking was crowded, but my husband dropped me off. There were stairs, but I climbed them without difficulty. I had to take a special chair to sit in, but my daughter carried it for me and set it up.

The school gym was alive with the sounds of the band preparing for their parts, parents were armed with cameras, friends visited and youngsters skipped from place to place. I felt as if I'd been planted in the midst of a river of community joy, and I was smiling.

The bands played and the vocalists sang and my heart soared. I was so thankful to be there watching the struggling beginnings of the very young and the progression of talent and ability as the program moved onward to the older musicians. It was beautiful to see what happens when youngsters grab hold of something they love and don't let go and continue pressing on through the years. They are blessed and so are all of us who are witness to their special gifts and talents.

Yesterday morning while reading from one of my devotionals I found a quote from Oliver Wendell Holmes. "I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor."

I've spent too much time in port. Last evening's performance helped me to sail. And reminded me that I don't dare lie at anchor too often or for too long. There's so much still to see and to do in this world. Last evening the students in my community and their music teachers uplifted my spirits and imprinted another beautiful memory in my mind. They gave me a gift. And I thank them.

And to those of you who find yourselves at anchor more often than you do sailing find the time, the way, and the heart to get out and to soar. Do something you love or discover something you didn't know you loved. Become a part of your community as much as you are able. There are blessings waiting for you "out" there. And we have much that we can give to others when we sail rather than lie at anchor.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bonnie, Thank You for your encouragement on my book. I let the story go for over a year through illness, then by chance I met a retired lady Pastor in a coffee shop who encourage me. So I am finally in print.
    Ray took me to Tasmania for two weeks before my last trip to hospital, it was like stepping back in time down there. AND...after being anointed and prayed over, my heart is totally healed.. Praise God. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you, Crystal. What wonderful news!

    So many reasons for celebrating.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis