Monday, April 30, 2012

Quiet Moments With God: Light of the World


 I don't like darkness.

I'm not speaking about the shadows that lie between hillsides or beneath the broad limbs of trees. Nor the darkness of a night sky that is brightened by shimmering stars or yellow slice of moon. Or the dark green depths of our local river. No, I'm speaking about darkness of the soul and spirit, where God does not dwell.

I once lived in that dark place. I met each day with fear, without hope. I wondered where the day would lead and moved through it with trepidation.

This morning I settled in my large leather chair and opened my Bible, hungry for the Lord, longing for His presence, His wisdom and love. My eyes moved through scripture and fell upon John 8:12. "Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, 'I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will  have the light that leads to life.'"

I remembered the darkness where I once lived and tears gathered in the corners of my eyes. I no longer live in that place for the light of Christ dwells in me.

Does that mean I am never afraid? Do I live without sorrows? No. I live in this world. But when I'm afraid or feel a situation is hopeless I know it is only for a time. I am loved by the Lord God. He will never forsake me. His light shines brightly from within and above and below, showing me the way. His hand reaches for mine and He holds me secure and promises there will be a day when there will be no darkness.

Reach for His hand--accept the light of truth and step into a future filled with love, hope and light.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honesty, I too have experienced that darkness and I thank God for His light!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis