Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Quiet Moments With God - Path To Peace




My weekly blog Quiet Moments With God is supposed to focus on things the Lord is speaking to me about or teaching me. So, this morning when I was reading from my devotional Jesus Calling I felt the last words in the devotion like an arrow that had been shot straight into my spirit. But I felt no inclination to write about it. Why when I knew they were meant for me today? 

When I realized that I'd skipped over the idea of using the lesson, I got to wondering about the why and I'm not certain, but it could have something to do with living transparently publicly. I had vowed to do that, but there are things I'd rather people not know about me and my faith. But as I mulled all of this over I came to the conclusion of what good is transparency if we pick and choose what we're transparent about?

So, the closing words  to the devotion were these. Turn from the path of planning to the path of peace. 

As far back as I can remember I've been a planner. If I can just come up with a better plan everything will work out. And if that plan doesn't accomplish what I want, then there must be something else I can do. And I go to work trying to cook up a solution, all the while worrying and wringing my hands. 

The devotion says in its opening paragraph that planning and trying to control is a way people practice unbelief. Ouch!

I don't like hearing that, but it's true. I know it . . . in my spirit where the quiet voice of God whispers truth to me. And God's Word says in 1 Peter 5:6-7 "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."

In my line of work, waiting is part of the every day. Writers wait to hear back from their critique partners - will they like what I've written? They wait to hear from agents - what do they think about the book idea, will it fly? Editors - will I have major restructuring to do? Publishing houses - do they want to publish my work, the project I sank months into? 

The process is almost never rapid. It can drag out for months . . . sometimes many months. And even when a book is accepted it's not uncommon to have a publishing date that is eighteen months out. And so I've learned to wait, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it. And it doesn't mean I am always in a peaceful place while I wait. I'm there now and my mind is full of what if's, which are not helpful. There is no peace in a worrying place.

That's where trusting God and having faith in His greater plan comes in. He really does know what he's doing. When I think I know the right way and right time I am NOT being humble. I am NOT believing in God's greater wisdom. 

I can trust Him. Really. But if I do, why don't I feel it? I need time with Him, not in my mind and unbelieving heart that wants to come up with a plan. 

And so, I seek out a quiet place to spend time with my Lord. We talk. And when I listen I find the peace that only God can offer. After all, he knows how and when to do all things. I, on the other hand, do not.

If you are waiting or if you're in a hard and hurting place remember God has not taken His eyes off you. He hasn't forgotten you. Trust in Him and in His plan. For there you will find peace.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Debra1:42 PM

    I read the same devotional this morning! How I needed it! I enjoy your blog. I read To Love Anew a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, I love the Jesus Calling devotional. It always has something to say that I need to hear. It's encouraging and comforting.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed To Love Anew. Thank you for letting me know.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis