Monday, September 30, 2013

Quiet Moments With God - Today



Breathe. That's right. Take a slow, deep breath. Do it now before you read ahead.

Don't think about yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Simply enjoy the pleasure and beauty of this moment.


Do you waste time thinking or worrying about the troubles of tomorrow or the mistakes of yesterday?

I do.

I chronically have difficulty spending my days in the here and now. I spend way too much time thinking about what I should have or could have done differently or I worry about how I'm going to manage something that feels terrifying and is rushing at me from the future.


Something I did last night is a perfect example. I have a sweet puppy, called Misty. She's six months old and well house trained, but she decided she doesn't like the rain and no matter how much we coaxed her, she refused to go outdoors. So, instead of finding an outside place to do her duty she chose what she thought was a perfect place indoors. I knew immediately - you can't conceal that smell. In my haste to teach her and to get her outside I partially picked her up. I should never do that. My back does not like it when I lift anything over ten pounds, especially when I'm bent over.

Ouch! I went to bed worrying about what today would bring.

This morning I awoke, still fearful and wondering what would happen when I moved or tried to stand up. Would I face a day with excess pain? I could feel my heart rate increase and my muscles tense at the thought.

At that moment, I needed to stop my fearful imaginings. So . . . what if I had extra pain today? It's not something new. I've been through it lots of times . . . and lived. And I have medication that helps. And I will get better. 

As it turns out, I do have more pain today, but I'm getting along just fine. I'm going to be fine. Worrying and being fearful is not helpful. In fact it makes things worse because stress makes my muscles more tense.

So this day is one more day of learning . . . from experience. And it's okay. But to harangue myself over a mistake I made yesterday is not okay. And worrying about what the future and what it holds for me is also not okay. When I do that I miss out on the beauty and pleasure of today. God has been teaching me this lesson over and over, only because I can't seem to get it.

John 10:10 says, "The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them (that's us) a rich and satisfying life."

If I take into account another verse from Matthew 6:34, which says, So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today," I can see that I'm a thief. I'm robbing myself of the rich and satisfying life God wants to give me.

I'm shaking my head (once more). When will I learn?

I'm still a work in progress, but progress is the key word. I am making headway. That is a good thing. 

Today is gorgeous. Sunshine is peeking through the clouds. The earth is damp and smells delicious from the weekend's rain. I am surrounded by a loving family. And I'm pushing forward on a new book. Plus . . . well there's lots more blessings in my life, things to be thankful for and to enjoy right here, right now.

So, I've decided I'm not going to spend any more time worrying about my back. I'm just going to enjoy the day God has given me. How about you? What's precious about today? About this moment?

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie


10 comments:

  1. So true! I used to worry often and my mom2 pointed out that we are directed from the Lord (see Mathew) NOT to. He says, "Do not worry." She said if I did, I was sinning! What a concept! But, it was true. That lesson really stuck with me. I still struggle when I'm overwhelmed by life... But I know He is able and will care for me, so I pray He removes them. And He's so good, He does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I get to feeling overwhelmed too and those are the hardest days. I would never make it through this world without the Lord. I remember I used to be so terrified of life, before I met Him.

    So thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:27 PM

    I heard T.D. Jakes say that looking back at your history means missing your present destiny....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote! I need to post that some place where I can see it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:49 PM

    This is so true and guess God must be trying to tell us something. The scripture that He led me to this morning was Matthew 6:31-34 also. I love that quote by T. D. Jakes too. I am so thankful my life today and tomorrow is in God's hands and I can trust Him to take care of me.

    Ann Ellison
    abilene_nana@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, I love how the Holy Spirit works in the hearts of believers. So often God is speaking to lots of us about the same spiritual lessons. Praise him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:22 AM

    I love this post Bonnie...but I am so incredibly bad at not worrying. We were chatting in our bible study group recently about this and how we should give our worries to God and I really do try but I still end up worrying. Obviously I haven't 'really' given my worries to God. I would love tips on how others 'really' give their worries to God and find peace with the worry.
    But saying that He is the ultimate comfort for me. I've mentioned before that I also have chronic illness and deal with chronic pain and some other consequences of my illness. My comfort is knowing that everything is in Gods plan and that He has a plan for my husband and I. And we are so blessed :)
    I also wanted to say that I am so encouraged at how your life changed with your injury as well Bonnie. You became a writer and have inspired so many people because of it.

    Ollie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ollie, it is beautiful to see you be so transparent. It encourages me and others I'm sure.

    Worry is something I'm good at - meaning I've done a lot of it. Something that helps me to remember I don't have to worry is my prayer journal. I keep a journal for prayers and when they are answered I write God's answer in the back section of the journal. I can read it any time and be reminded of how He has answered prayer. It helps to be reminded of His constant presence in our lives. The Psalms are also a comfort to me. I read them often, especially when I'm going through difficult times.

    When we worry the Lord understands, but He wants us to be trust and find freedom in our faith in Him.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:46 PM

    I like the idea of a prayer journal...I might give that a try! Thank you Bonnie.
    Ollie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, Ollie!

    It has been a great help to me. I have a lots to pray about so I divide them up with different things on each day of the week. And I have every day prayers as well. And then I have the answered prayers, dated, in the back.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis