Monday, October 28, 2013

Quiet Moments With God - Are You The Real Deal?


Over the weekend my husband and I set out to purchase a new car. We knew what to expect from car salesmen. After all, they need to make a living just like the rest of us so they generally work hard to make a sale. We were prepared to walk the gamut toward a new car purchase. 

We visited a couple of different lots. The first salesman, or I should say, sales woman, gently coaxed us toward a purchase. We found a car we thought might be a good fit but decided we should have a look at a few other models before making a decision.

At the next dealership a young salesman greeted us. He was polite and friendly - not pushy. We took a car out for a test drive while he told us about all its great features. We liked the car, but it was a bit spendy for us and we told the salesman so. That's when the big guns were called in.

Another salesman, who had obviously had more experience, stepped in. He was pushy, but we'd expected that so it was no big deal. Each time he left the room to see about getting us a better price, my husband and I shared a few chuckles over his demeanor. 

It would have been all right, except this powerful salesman started making wisecracks about his wife. Several times he ridiculed or made fun of the person he was supposed to love and respect above all others. Each dig made me more and more uncomfortable until I was actually creeped out. Any trust I'd had in that salesman was gone, along with my respect. 

While considering yesterday's encounter with the aggressive salesman I got to thinking about how important who I am is to the most important man in my life. No. Not my husband, though he's a close second. But to Jesus Christ. 

How do I present Jesus Christ to the world?

I would never make fun of Him or purposely disrespect Him, but when I walk out into the world as one of His representatives I need to consider what others see. What I do and say says a lot about how I feel about my Lord. 

Romans 13:11 - 14 says, "This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don't participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Verse eleven refers to the verse just before it, which tells us "Love does no wrong to others."  

As it turned out, we did not purchase a car from the man who maligned his wife. I had no peace about it.We returned to the original car lot where I became the proud owner of a brand new Dodge Journey. I hope its a good car for us.

In some ways we are like car salesmen or any salesman for that matter. We market our faith. When others watch our life would they want to buy into our faith? I'm not only speaking about the world out there but the one where we live - close friends and family. 

Are we a mouth piece for the Lord that says "I am the way the truth and the life" or something altogether different?

Do not feel guilt if you look closely and don't like what you see. None of us is perfect. But if we feel convicted by the Holy Spirit to be a brighter light for Christ we need to listen to that voice. We can make a difference in this world - one person at a time.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis