Monday, November 04, 2013

Quiet Moments With God - God Passed By


God's Word is a precious gift offered to mankind centuries ago. In all those years it has not changed. His Word is powerful and glorious. It can change my day, my 
life . . . if I think on it - if I tuck it into my heart and my spirit where it can live and breathe.

This morning I went to Exodus 33:14. God is speaking to Moses. "The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest - everything will be fine for you."

Moses went on and asked for reassurance from the Lord. That's not so different from us. God says it and we ask Him to say it again. We need reassurance and God understands. 

Moses would meet with the Lord, face to face and then share God's Word and instructions with the Israelites. He was chosen by God not because he was better than everyone else but simply because God picked him to lead His people. 

The verses that follow in Exodus reveal the intimate relationship between God and Moses. And yet, in verse 18 Moses says, "Then show me your glorious presence." He wanted more assurance of God's presence even with the history that had already passed between him and God. Even Moses needed this.

The Lord reveals His tender mercy and love when He replies, "'I will make all my goodness pass before you and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live." The Lord continued, "Look, stand near me on this rock. As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with  my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen.'"

As I read this passage I get this great big lump in my throat and my heart aches with joy at this demonstration of God's tender mercy. Oh how He loved Moses. 

But there is more here to learn. 

Moses could not look until God passed by. Why? If God loved Moses wouldn't He want to show him all His glory? I think this is a beautiful picture of how we can know God. We know Him by where He has been, what He has done and who He has been. We can know Him completely and intimately. He is a powerful God. A terrifying God. A tender God. A God of mercy and purpose. A righteous God . . . and so much more. 

If we listen we can hear Him speak to us - if we listen.

See where God has passed by and know Him.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis