Wednesday, June 14, 2023

A Writing Sister

 


I've discovered a writer who, in many ways, is like a sister to me. 

She writes historical romance, like me. She has books that take place in Oregon during the nineteenth century, like me. And she writes for the same publisher, WhiteFire Publishing, like me. I decided to interview her and introduce her to you, my readers.

Welcome Cara Grandle, fellow writer. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about you.

1.  Has writing always been a dream of yours?
    
Now Cara's a grandmother
of this sweet little fellow.
I started dabbling in writing when my five kids were babies. I used it as the sanity escape from the land of littles. It wasn't until ten years later when I was at a women's retreat that I felt the Lord validate my dreams and encourage me to finish writing a book and go for it. It was another nine years of writing, learning, submitting, and being rejected before I signed a contract with WhiteFire Publishing.

Five children! You're incredible.

2.  When you're creating a story what is most important to you, the characters, the theme or something else?

I am a character driven writer for sure. My mind usually plays me a little snippet of a movie with a cameo of a character. Then I figure out how the character got there, who else was involved, and if they are in the middle, beginning or end of their adventure.

I like that. Very Original.

3.  If you were an animal, what would you be? And what do you think that says about you?

I don't think I've ever been asked that question before I can think of quite a few I'm glad I'm not. (Laughing.) I would probably go with Labrador ...dog. Loyal, happy, going from play time, to nap time, to meal time day in and day out. Sounds good to me.

Labradors are one of my favorite dogs. My Henry is a white lab. And he's all those things you described.

4.  Do you have a favorite genre of book or a favorite author? Why?

I write sweet romance, so of course I like that. But I'm really into cozy mysteries too. I aspire to one day write one. But they are a mite harder to write than my sweet romances. So many details to keep track of.

Mysteries are indeed a challenge, especially for linear thinkers like me. I'll be watching for your first mystery.

5.  Where would you go on your dream vacation?

I would go to Spain and immerse myself in the language and culture for a good three weeks. I'm almost bilingual and would like that experience to solidify all the years of lessons. If I had to pick inside the USA, I really want to go see the Tetons.

Both of those sound like a dream.

6.  What does your typical day look like?

Typical day? What's that? Does anyone have Typical days these days? Typically, I spend some time helping with my aging parents and in-laws. Other times I'm playing with my new grandson (only a few months old). I raise Labrador Retrievers (Which probably explains the answer to question three), chickens and rabbits, and I love to paint, draw, garden, film YouTube videos around the writing/editing schedule. So pretty much anything that fuels my creative inspiration is on the table. And it also means, I'm a little all over the place--but it's fun.

I knew you were the creative type the first time I met you on a Zoom call with WhiteFire. It's a gift to you and to others.

7.  Your books are considered Christian Fiction. Would you agree with that? Why do you write for the Christian market?

I write for the Christian market because I can't separate my heart that's in love with Jesus from my heart that loves writing and creating complicated and beautiful people. For me, to feel the heights of a great love story, I need to include the heights of our truest redemption story--the source of our best love.

Exactly! I want to give you a high five on that one.

8. Can you tell us a little about your new book? And what are you working on now?

Book three of the Sisters of the Porcelain Doll series. The Rose, is coming out September 5, 2023. It is a "It takes a thief to catch a thief story." It's delightfully fast paced and has a twist or two.

I'm presently reading "The Ribbon" and look forward to "The Rose".


Here's a glimpse of what you can find inside the pages of Cara's latest novel, The Rose.


Under the thumb of her overbearing stepbrother, Rose Briggs must survive crossing the Oregon Trail before she can find the freedom and means to open a mercantile close to her sisters. Little did she know she stepped into the plans of a ring of thieves.

Worn down to skin and bones with nothing to call his own, Amos Pate a reformed outlaw, will do anything to keep his vow to never steal again. Anything except standing by and letting his loved ones die. 

They must stay one step ahead of a band of criminals, or they lose everything they are living for.


This sounds really good. I can't wait to read it!

Thank you, Cara, for taking time to visit with us. 

Cara is having a GIVEAWAY! If you sign up for her newsletter you will be entered in a drawing for book one in the Sisters of the Porcelain Doll series.




Enter a give away by subscribing to Cara’s email - click here.


I had forgotten how much I enjoy interviewing other writers. I think I'm going to do more. Make sure to stop in and check out what's up or click on the follow and never miss a posting.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie Leon








3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:22 PM

    Thanks for having me, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for enriching my day with your excellent blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has become a trusted advisor in various aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis