Sunday, March 09, 2008

Quiet Moments With God -- Unyielding Love

This week, verses I’ve carried close to my heart for many years were part of my reading. I love God’s Word; it’s enduring and compelling. If my mind is set upon Christ I will hear what God has to say to me. And once again Ephesians 3:17-18 reminded me that Christ’s love is a supernatural choice He makes.

Paul said to the Ephesian church, “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love may have power, together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

I was a young mother when I first read these verses. While my little ones napped I took my Bible, went to my back porch and dropped into a patio chair. It was my “God time”. These passages were a balm to my soul. Yet, I couldn’t fully grasp their meaning. So, as I often do, I asked God to show me. And He was faithful to answer. I looked out over a broad valley that stretched into the hills and up into the mountains. It was wide and long. God said to me, “See that. Even that valley cannot contain the love I have for you.”

As the reality settled in, I took a deep breath and felt awash in His love. Even now, when I think about that first glimmer of understanding my eyes fill with tears. How could anyone love me that much? Only God.

There is no human measurement for His love. The closest I can come is a parent’s love for their child. I remember the first time I saw my son. An indescribable and unfamiliar love swelled inside me—powerful and unyielding. I’d never felt that way about anyone before that moment. And I knew I’d die for that little boy if need be.

When I visited the Grand Canyon several months ago I gazed at the astounding view, barely able to believe the splendor. Again, I heard the voice of God whisper, “Not even this can contain the love I have for you.”

His love is infinite and without conditions. He loves us . . . period. I rest in that, knowing I can depend upon Him to embrace me as a father does his child even when that child lets Him down.

So dear friends, rest in the one true and enduring refuge--the arms of our Lord.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis