Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tips for triumphant living -- Face Your Giants

I don’t like giants.

My first inclination is to run from the things in life that are scary, painful or just plain difficult. I try to face my giants, but often I'm quaking in my boots.

When reflecting on battling giants you’d think my first thought would be David. After all, he stood up to Goliath even after being warned not to.

David didn't listen to men. He obeyed God and knew he’d been called to that moment, that challenge. And so with nothing more than a sling, a stone and his faith, he brought down the giant and saved his people from slavery.

Still, it isn’t David I think of when my thoughts go to giant slaying. It’s my sister.

Several weeks ago I sat in a courtroom and watched her stand up to one of her giants. She did so with resolve and courage even though the giant she faced was the man responsible for her nineteen-year-old daughter’s death.

Two and a half years before her daughter, Crystal, died in an automobile accident. The man who’d been driving had been drinking when he drove off an embankment. Crystal died instantly. The driver had no injuries and I can only guess at those he carries inside.

With no noticeable remorse he sat in the courtroom awaiting his sentence. My sister remained composed as she faced the accused. Bravely and eloquently she told him all that he had taken from her and her family in hopes that it would impact him enough to change his ways. She spoke with honesty and without malice.

I wept, and in my heart I cheered. I was proud of my sister, not because she spoke eloquently, not because she was honest, or because she lacked malice, but because she faced this “giant” with courage and grace. She offered him mercy. And she told him about the love of Jesus, sharing God’s grace with him. She asked him to place his trust in Christ so that he too could spend eternity in heaven, right beside her daughter who already resides there.

My sister’s strength and faith is an inspiration to me. The same God who stood with David stood with my sister and He stands with me and with you. He offers courage and strength.

He whispers in our hearts, “Do not fear. I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

Do you have a story about one of the giants you've faced? We'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis