Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tips for Triumphant Living -- Learn to be content.

Paul says in Philippians 4:11-13 “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content. In any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

There have been many moments of discontent in my life. I remember once standing at my dining room window and looking out at the fields and forests surrounding my home and feeling such frustration with my life. I asked God, “Is this it? Do I have to be content with just this?” His answer . . .“YES!”

That’s not what I wanted to hear, but I knew what He would say before I asked. Did His yes mean that I’d never have anything more than I did at that moment? Not necessarily. What it did is ask questions. “Where is your gratitude? Where is your faith? Have you forgotten that above all else you are to tell others about me?"

God has given me more than I’ve even dreamed to ask. And yet, discontentment shadows my life.

I’m convinced that no matter how much we have there will always be something else that tantalizes us, one more thing that’s just out of reach. We think, if only I could achieve just this objective or possess that one more “whatever it is” then I’ll be happy. It’s a lie. Accomplishments and possessions never comnpletely satisfy.

When I consider the people I most admire it’s never their talent, the kind of car they drive or the beautiful home they live in that I value. It’s who they are that matters. The people I want to emulate are “just folks” whose hearts and minds are set upon Christ. They are people who listen instead of talk, people who give instead of take.

Discontent comes in all shapes and sizes. Our need for more time, more money, more recognition, more intelligence, even more knowledge . . . distracts us from what should be our true goal, God’s will.

How much sweeter life would be if we could rest in Christ; offer up our lives to him and allow His will to be what motivates us above all else.

Take heart, for as Paul says, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”

Blessings to you,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis