Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Remember Him

It's nearly one o'clock in the morning and I can't sleep--nothing new for me. But while I was lying in bed I could hear the hooting of an owl so I got up and stepped onto my back patio.

The night is clear and cold. Stars shimmer in a black sky. And as I stand wrapped in my not so sexy bathrobe the hoot of the owl echoes from nearby. Another one answers from a distance. In the quiet chilled evening, they continue to speak to one another. As I share the solitude with my wild friends, I feel as if I'm being included in one of God's special moments. He feels so near.

There are many wonders in our world. I live in the country and each day I'm privileged to see an assortment of wild creatures, hear the wind blow through tree boughs and gaze at rolling hillsides festooned with groves of oak and evergreens. And I am reminded of The One who created the beauty. When the forest floor is littered with wild flowers of every hue and shape I am reminded of Him. And when I'm included in a midnight serenade between two owls I am reminded of Him.

These may seem like small things, but God wants us to remember Him. To remember that He created earth, our temporary home, just for us. He wants us to know that He longs to spend time with us.

You don't have to live in the country to see His creation. It's everywhere--in the trees along city streets, the birds flitting among the bushes in your yard, flowers grown on a city rooftop or even in misty clouds that look like filigree against a pale blue sky.

He's here, all around us, remindng us of His presence. We simply need to look. And when we remember, let's not forget to thank Him for His wondrous gift of earth. There is no other place like it in all the universe.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 PM

    yeah... I'm with ya! And neither God nor the owls care if your robe is sexy or not--ha! They want you to be warm 'n fuzzy 'n aware of loving them! <3 loveyou, patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti.

    I suppose I could have been wearing a sexy robe, but it wouldn't look sexy on this grammy. ;-]

    And you're right, neither God or His creatures care a whit about what I look like on the outside. It's the inside that counts.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, this is why you are such a good writer. You have such a good way to express yourself. God knows this and He is glad that you followed His urging to be with Him on your deck in those early morning hours. Luv You! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Barb, for your kind words. Keep them coming. I can never get too much encouragement. ;-]

    I love those moments when God is so close, when He's all around and I feel the caress of His presence. I need lots of those moments. I need Him.

    Love ya,


    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis