Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Worry Less

I came across a couple of great quotes.

Mary Hemingway said, "Worry a little every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything."

And . . .

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its joy."
Author unknown.

Both of these quotes hit me right where I live. I'm a worrier, always have been. I'm one who imagines worse case scenarios. Maybe that's why I write books--my imagination works overtime. When I'm wearing my author's hat that's a great help, but in the day to day living it only causes anxiety and is not profitable.

Mary Hemingway said, train yourself. If we're worriers and want to live in a state of peacefulness we have some work to do. It will take effort and determination. Scripture tells us to take every thought captive. I'm learning. Some days I'm more successful than others, but I will not give up.

Worry is a normal human response to troubles, but it says a lot about how we see God. Do we trust Him . . . really? If we do, then why are we worrying? He sees it all. He hears our every prayer. Knows our every need. And He has everything in hand.

When we fully trust God it means we don't have to worry about what terrible thing may happen today or tomorrow. Rather, we can live like babes who have been gathered into their mother's arms--fully dependent and fully trusting.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 PM

    I'm NOT a worrier--I think I used up all my worries as a young girl/teen when life was really horrible for me--God was there all the time, but I didn't know Him. But when all ya have is God, is when you find out He is enough... and I think I sensed and knew that, and proved Him out. So, since He loves me to come to Him with all my cares, it's easy and literally a joy for me to do that now--on such a daily, regular basis--ahhhhhhhh. awwwwww. awe. Love you, Bonnie! Patti Iverson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti.

    How wonderful that God took something horrible and used it to transform you into an exceptional human being. We can all learn from your experience.

    Bless you dear lady.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I get distressed at times. Presently I am following the 'Daniel Fast' and praying about my concerns. One was for my son Lee to get a job where he was happy....and he has it! Praise God!!
    Much love Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal,so happy to hear about your son and his new job. Praising God with you.

    For serious matters Christ said to pray and fast. I think we forget the latter. Thrilled for your answer to prayer.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis