Friday, March 12, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- We May Have Only Today

Have you considered how you want to live out your life? Have you thought about how important each day is and that we don't know if there will be a tomorrow? Only the Lord knows the number of days we have on this earth.

While we're here we may be the only image of Christ someone else will see. Most of the time we don't know that people are watching, observing what makes us different from someone who doesn't profess Christ as Lord. More times than I'd like to count I've not been a good example. In my younger years I could quickly become a "mother bear" in defense of my children, a not so attractive example of Christ. And I could and can still get my dander up over an irritation or difference of opinion.

I've made numerous apologies over the years because of a quick temper. It's humiliating to go back to a store clerk and apologize for my short fuse. But it's equally rewarding to see that clerk brighten and graciously accept my apology.

As I've aged, many of the lessons learned have stuck and I'm calmer these days and less likely to loose my cool. However, I haven't arrived.

Being a living example of Christ isn't just about maintaining emotions. It includes being gracious, generous, kind, and helpful. Well, actually all you need to do is look at the fruit of the spirit, which is listed in Galatians 5:22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

We shall be known by our fruit. Scripture tells us to live out our faith. If we do our days will be filled with blessings, we will likely do something worthwhile and possibly something spectacular such as introducing Christ to a new believer.

What would I do if I knew I had only one day left on this earth? I'd give out lots of hugs, I'd make sure to tell those I love that I love them, I might even bake my "famous" chocolate chip cookies for the last time and share them with my friends. And I'd definitely sit down with people who don't know Christ and tell them all about Him.

It's time for us to live like today is our last. We will be blessed. Today will be richer and more joyous, not just for us but for those around us.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis