Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Quiet Moments With God: What Is


Last weekend I attended a church retreat. I love retreats! They are good places to connect with old friends and to make new ones. There is time for rest and for fun, and it seems God always has something new to teach me. This retreat was extra special because it was my first trip away from home since I hurt my back in August. I left home with some trepidation, but all turned out well. Praise God!

Our speaker this year was Judy Dippel. What a special woman--she's fun and wise and she had good stuff to share with us ladies. At the end of the weekend, I left with a lot to think about.

One of Judy's statements really stuck.--"Think about what is, not what isn't." When she said that, I felt it right in my gut. I spend too much time thinking about what isn't. I miss my old life (before my back went bad) and I admit here and now that I long for the person I once was. But the plain and simple truth is, I can't change what happened. And no good will come from pondering on my loss.

I decided to make a list of what is and what isn't. I hoped that having a visual comparison would help me see the truth. Here's a little part of my what is list.

God created me.
I am His child.
His Son, Jesus died for me.
God has blessed me with a loving family and good friends.
Tomorrow is filled with hope.
God's Word is true and can be trusted.
God will never forsake me.
My eternity will be spent in the presence of God.
God hears my prayers.
He has blessed me with a home in the midst of His creation.
My husband loves me, even after forty years of marriage.
My children bless my life.
I lack for nothing.

I'll stop there--I have a long list of what is.

I'm left with a question -- With all that I have to be thankful for, why does my mind often go to what isn't? I cringe at what I see. Self. It's all about me.

Life's challenges can drag us into a whirlpool of self pity. And seeing what others have--their successes or their possessions drag us into the sin of covetousness. Once caught up, we go around and around, unable to break free. But God loves us too much to leave us there. He'll use something or someone to remind us how much He's given, how full our lives are. And that we have a Holy and merciful God who loves us even when we forget Him. Our lives are secure and full of promise in His capable hands. The possibilities are endless. Tomorrow is another day filled with potential.

Make your own list. See what is and be thankful. God promises us hope and a future.

Get excited about WHAT IS!

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie, thank you for these good words. We all need to be reminded of this from time to time. I've printed off several copies (one for me and others to share with women I mentor.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, thank you for writing. It's good to know my words have been helpful. And thanks to Judy Dippel for reminding me.

    Today's a hard day. I'm going to go back over my list. : - )

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis