Thursday, October 04, 2012

Thoughts For Today -- Be A Blessing

Last weekend, my daughter and I drove my mother to Washington State. She wanted to see her home one last time. It has been remodeled and is for sale. She needed to say good-bye. And she needed to spend time with friends and family.

Months ago, when Mom left Washington she was very ill and grieving the death of her husband. She wasn't able to say a proper farewell. This trip was important to her.

I'm not so young these days and with my mother's health issues I was unable to make the trip without help. Both of my daughters stepped up. Sarah traveled with us and with unselfish love she helped her grandmother. Kristi stayed home and watched all the kids (hers and Sarah's).

It was a blessed journey home--filled with treasured memories, though bittersweet. Mom loved her "new" home and we had lots of special time with the important people in her life.

Mom was able to say good-bye.

None of this could have happened without the help of my daughters. I'm grateful for their sacrifice and for their tender hearts.

While reading a post from a dear friend who is suffering through the loss of her health and her home I got to thinking about the value of true friends and loving families. This gal's friends have been with her through every step of her journey and they continue to stand with her, offering love and support.

We need to be those kinds of friends, sisters, mothers, brothers . . . family. The kind who reach out to offer a helping hand and who remind those we love that they matter. And we need to give lots of hugs. Hugs definitely help.

Is there someone in your life who might need a tender word, a helping hand or a hug? Be there for them. It can make all the difference in the quality of their lives . . . and yours.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis