Sunday, April 20, 2008

Quiet Moments With God--A Final Word

Imagine this is your last day on earth and the ones you love most have gathered to spend a few moments with you. What do you think you’d say?


If it were me, I’d share whatever was pressing intensely on my heart. I’d tell them whatever mattered most, what they needed to hear more than anything else.

In Mathew 28:19, before Jesus ascended to His Father he said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

These were Jesus’ last words to His disciples. Like us, don’t you think He’d share what was of utmost importance? He did. His words are well known and are often referred to as “The Great Commission”.

He gave three instructions; go make disciples, baptize, and teach. This is not a suggestion but a command. All Christians need to be doing these three things.

Does this mean we must travel across the globe to a village somewhere in Africa? No. But as we go we are to share the love of Christ with others.

Baptism is an outward statement of our faith. It tells others that we believe in Jesus as Savior. And encouraging them to make their own public statement is obeying Christ.

We are to teach, but that doesn’t mean we’re required to stand in front of a classroom or a congregation and present a speech. We need only share the truth of God’s Word with others and build up one another, in love, with honesty and integrity.

The last line of the Great Commission is powerful and reassuring. “I am with you always, even unto the very end of the age.”

We’re never alone. Never. I know that the idea of witnessing to others can make some of us quake, but God would not ask us to do something we can’t. And we can count on Him to stand with us, offering His guidance and strength.

Many times I’ve failed at fulfilling this mission. But that’s not an excuse. I can’t disregard Christ’s command. I may not do things beautifully or take advantage of every opportunity, but I can do my best, do better, because He lives in me.

He is our source of strength and wisdom. Nothing is impossible with Christ.

Grace & peace to you from God,


Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis