Monday, July 26, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Gather Together

My sister and one of my nephews flew into town this week. It was just what we needed to get everyone together and light off the BBQ. We had a good time. We ate, gabbed, laughed and played with the kids and the dogs. And we shared family stories. It happens naturally. One story leads to another and soon time has run out before we've shared them all. It's fun and faith-building.

Sharing the stories and reliving our lives knits us together. Our history reminds us of who we are, where we've been and it even helps show us where we should go.

It's not so different in our church families. God has a reason for telling us we need to gather together. It's for teaching--yes, but there's so much more going on. Like a family, we need to connect with each other. If we never get together how can we build a history? How can we learn to trust? How can we carry one another's burdens or rejoice with melded hearts and minds? And then one day, look back and grow stronger because of the places we've been . . . together.

When we gather to worship and learn we discover truths we might not have found, garner strength and courage to persevere. We need to pray together and help each other find the way. And it is our Heavenly Father, in the midst, who gives purpose and assurance.

Whether it is your genetic family or your spiritual family, find time for each other. Life will be sweeter.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

6 comments:

  1. It's so easy to let relationships slip in the busyness of life, isn't it? Even at church, I see people rushing in last minute and rushing out when the service is over. I don't think they really need to get somewhere -- they're just so use to rushing they don't know how to slow down and enjoy the moment. Making connections with people is a huge way I build my faith. I love reading books where relationships are key as well. I love that sense of family and community. This is a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kav, I see the same thing happening in churches a lot. Our society seems to be in a mad dash to . . . nowhere and building "real" relationships seems to be slipping away.

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your profile sounds like mine. I live a quiet life in the country. My child is grown and has moved one hour away. I love playing with my grandson. One of the great surprises about being a grandmother is how intensely I love my grandson. Just can't get enough of him. I agree with Kay, I love reading books where relationships are key as well. I also love my Quiet Moments With God.

    Thank you for this blog.
    God Bless You and Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Bonnie, I relate to this. How often do we connect with someone, even our friends, who is happy to take the time just to hang out and talk? Few are they who are not "in a hurry . . ." It's a rare conversation that doesn't have to have "a point"!
    --Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rbooth,

    How good to meet you. I remember when my first grandchild came into this world. I was so surprised at the depth of my love for him. I have four grandchildren now (hope for more) and I am so extremely blessed by them.

    And thanks so much for your encouragement about Quiet Moments With God. :-)

    Blessings to you dear lady,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, Laura. I pray I'm not like that, although sometimes I am. I want to tarry a little, just because I love being with someone dear or a new friend.

    God created us for relationship. If we can't take the time for others we lose.

    God bless,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis