Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Be Kind

In a recent interview I was asked what I dislike most. The answer immediately flashed into my mind. I can’t stand meanness, especially between Christians.

We snipe at each other, gossip, and toss barbs. There is no reason to be cruel, not one. And yet, it happens all the time. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not innocent. I've been known to throw insults when miffed. I detest such behavior, especially when it originates with me.

Scripture is clear. Maliciosness is not okay.

Matthew 19:19 says, "Love your neighbor as yourself” and in John 13:34 Christ says, “A new command I give: Love one another As I have loved you, so you must love one another." And in Matthew 5:38 Jesus says, “If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

These are just a handful of verses, there are many more. They should make us think. What does it mean to love our neighbor as ourselves? We make sure we’re well fed, clothed, housed and we take care of needs that arise. So does loving our neighbor as ourselves mean we're to extend the same kindness toward them? How can we do that better?

To love as Christ loves means to love sacrificially and unconditionally. Do we even come close?

And when someone wrongs us what is our first reaction, reprisal? Clearly Matthew 5:38 describes just the opposite.

So, do we take God's Word seriously? Do we believe ALL of it applies to us?

It's not possible to live perfect lives, we're human after all, but do our hearts long to live in a way that honors God? Maybe we should spend time contemplating how we can honor Him. If we find ourselves being cruel to others either to their face or behind their back, then we're clearly not pleasing God.

Cruelty can devastate. Unkind words and actions tear down those God has asked us to love. How it must grieve our Heavenly Father.

I don't want to grieve Him. I want to please Him. I say, let’s give the Lord's way a chance. Decide to love at all times. Imagine what the world would be like if we chose love instead of hate.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

7 comments:

  1. Definitely thought-provoking. I find that the media seems to promote unkindness (think reality shows). It's not an excuse, but society is certainly learning that it doesn't pay to be kind -- it pays to be cruel. All the more reason to keep God's word close to our hearts and follow Christ's example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kav, you are so right. The televisions programs these days do uplift cruelty, especially the reality shows. I pray our nation finds its way back to the Lord and His ways and soon.

    Grace and peace to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what you and Kav, say is true,

    The way things are these days reminds me of a song
    "Getting use to the Dark"



    oh Bonnie, got your new book today,

    have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jel, I don't know the song, but the title says a lot.

    So glad you got my book. I hope you enjoy the story.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. if I remember right
    "The Mckamey's" sung it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying your book very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Jel! So glad. : - >

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis