Sunday, July 04, 2010

Quiet Moments With God -- Be There

It's good to be alive! I just returned home from a local event that I nearly missed.

Every Fourth of July, for the last several years, the churches in our community sponsor a Fourth of July celebration. There's lots of food, games for the kids, great music and the best fireworks display in the county. It's a gift to our neighbors and friends. Everything is free, just as the gift of salvation is free.

This evening I attended with my husband, my oldest daughter, one of my grandsons and my pup, Bentley. This year the estimated number of attendees was three thousand! We live in a tiny town so this is a big event.

While my daughter and her son enjoyed the festivities and my husband cut and served watermelon, Bentley and I wandered through the grounds, visiting with people. A puppy is a sure fire people magnet. We had a good time.

As the sun set I found a chair alongside my family, wrapped myself in a blanket and snuggled down for the evening show. A band continued to belt out songs from the seventies while my grandson and I rocked out. He played his imaginary guitar and I a drum. With a little head banging, laughter and smiles we created a new memory to store away for another day.

The stars appeared one by one while my daughter counted them, and then the band quieted and a pastor shared the wonder of the gospel while I prayed for receptive hearts. When he finished amens and clapping echoed across the large open field. And then we stood and sang the Star Spangled Banner, all 3,000 of us. The fireworks began just as the song came to an end. People cheered and then we sat and marveled at the thundering sounds and brilliant colors lighting up the night sky.

I whispered thanks to God, grateful to be there. I'd almost missed it. I was tired and staying home had seemed easier. I'm so glad I didn't give in to the temptation to hibernate at home. I wonder how much we miss because it's "easier" not to go.

Our years here are limited. And there is so much to see and do, but we've got to BE THERE.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful combination of faith and patriotism.

    I was struck by your reference to missing out on things because it's easier not to go. I have to admit I'm more than guilty of that.

    I have a full time job in the day and (when college is in session) and part-time job some evenings and weekends. It makes for a very busy life and this year in particular I've missed out on a lot of things because I just wanted to hibernate when I actually got a few hours to myself. Some of the things I passed up on would have energized me in a different way, though -- like a women's conference, a bible study group, an Easter musical night -- even church a time or two. I can't get those times back, but I can make sure I don't let them get swept aside the next time round.

    Once again we seem to be on the same wavelength and you 'spoke' to me. Thanks for the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kav.

    It's a matter of finding balance for me. There's so much to do that I can get overwhelmed. I do like quiet time at home, just vegging, but too much of that means I'm missing out on life and I only have one. So, I try to be where I should be, where God wants me to be, and when I ought to be there.

    There really is so much fun "out there" and once I get to an event I'm usually so glad I went.

    Blessings to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis