Saturday, October 01, 2011

Quiet Moments With God -- Fight. Fight. Fight.


I love the movie, You've Got Mail. One scene in particular stands out for me at this time in my life. Meg Ryan is speaking to Tom Hanks (who plays her nemesis) online. She tells him she's losing her business. His response--"Go to the mattresses", which is a term from the movie the God Father that means go to war. Meg cutely punches the air and says, "Fight. Fight. Fight".

She goes to war, fighting to save her small bookstore from being eaten up by a large chain store. In the end, she loses the battle. It's sad. She's loved the bookstore, which had once been her mother's.

There is a lesson here. What is it? That we don't fight? I don't believe that. However, we do need to question what's worth fighting for and, if we choose to fight and still lose God may have a special purpose for the loss. Perhaps it's something as simple as learning the lesson of acceptance and yet being thankful. I've recently been contemplating these concepts. Acceptance can be a hard pill to swallow. But sometimes we can't move forward until we accept where we are.

In the movie, the character of Meg Ryan grieves the loss of her beloved bookstore. Of course she would. It's what she knows and so much of her life has been about the store. However, another life awaits her and if she hadn't been forced to relinquish the old she'd never have discovered the new--one richer and fuller than she'd known. The key to discovery, for her, was a willingness to release the past and move forward.

I do not have this all figured out, but this story encourages me. Though I've been in a battle, I am presently doing all I can to open my arms and accept difficult circumstances and to be thankful for them. God has not lost sight of me. I know that. He and I have been close for a long time. He knows what lies ahead. I've laid down my arms for now and am learning acceptance. I may be called to battle again, in fact I'm certain of it. Until then I am resting in my Lord.

What are you fighting for or relinquishing or accepting? Whatever it is, trust in God's greater knowledge and wisdom. He truly knows what is best for us.

Grace and peace to you,

Bonnie

10 comments:

  1. Before having my son I was a control freak! I loved organization and structure. I hated chaos in my life and did everything imaginable to control every situation.
    I prayed about it for many years, that I could learn to let go and enjoy life more, learn to live in the moment. This past year God answered my prayers by giving me a wonderful little chaotic distraction. My son challenges me daily to be flexible . At first this was difficult, but I thank God for being able to accept this new way of life. I wouldn't trade this chaos for anything! Letting go of control and accepting that I was never really in control has been liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy did this speak to me. I realize I have been fighting against releasing the past life to God. Don't like some of the answers I'm getting to a puzzle I can't seem to decipher. Must remember that it doesn't matter if I understand or not. My commitment to Christ means giving it into his hands. Faith and trust. Always good - sometimes painful. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Amy Charmichael said it well, "In acceptance, lies peace." Yup. no accept it, whatever it may be, no peace! We can still fight for right 'n righteousness, we can still sigh and hurt and cry, and we can still be angry, yet sin not. But it still stands, in acceptance, lies peace. God is soooo good to help us! I praise Him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. TC, children are such a gift. And often in ways we would never have guessed. So happy for you.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda, life's not easy, just good (most of the time). I will keep you in my prayers as you and God work together to sort things out. You have a heart for Him so I know it will be good.

    Letting go of our past, who we were or what we did is so hard, but there's good stuff ahead. Keep looking forward.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the quote, Patti. Excellent! I need to make a poster and put it on my wall.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a poignant and valuable post, Bonnie. Off to tweet it so others may be blessed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fear we're gearing up for a fight in one particular area of life. Not certain how it will all fall out, but I'm holding my breath and waiting for God work, because I don't have control over any of it!!

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosslyn, thank you so much for your encouragement and for retweeting. :-) Years ago I never would have imagined I'd have any interest in "tweeting" anything.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kristen, I am praying for you right now. I love you dear lady -- but how much greater is God's love than mine.

    He's got your back and your front. I pray you will fight if called and accept when you must.

    Don't be afraid--God knows.

    I'm sending a big cyber hug your way.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis