Saturday, October 15, 2011

Topic of the Day -- A Little Bit of Sunshine



Mom made it through surgery and though the days following were rough she's getting better and better. Today she was released from the hospital and will spend several weeks in a rehab center. I'm thankful.

The strange thing is that when I should be smiling and doing a jig, I'm feeling down in the dumps. I chatted with my sister today and we talked about how I'm feeling. She knows quite a bit about the human psyche and explained that while I sat with my mother as she went through her trauma I went right along with her. And so I've had my own trauma I'm working through.

God knows all things even "down in the dump" days. And so He sent me a little bit of sunshine today--my granddaughter, Olivia. She spent the afternoon with me. As always, she was full of smiles and hugs. We baked cookies together and when it was time for her to go home I felt better. I'd found my smile again.

I'm grateful for my sister's helpful words. And especially thankful my little sunshine girl, Olivia, was here with hugs for her grandma. And thank you, God, for loving me even though I don't deserve it.

Grace and peace to God.

Bonnie

8 comments:

  1. What a cutie pie!!
    So glad you are feeling better.
    May you continue to work through the rough spots, coupled with many breaks of sunshine, as you walk with your mother through her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen.

    Yes, Olivia is a cutie. She blesses my life more than I can express.

    Thank you so much for your love and concern.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie, I've been out of the loop due to computer problems and am just now catching up. So sorry that I wasn't here to pray for you as you went on that journey with your mom. So grateful that she is doing well and praying now that your life is full of more sunshiney moments now. Olivia is a little sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also hard when we glean glimpses of our parent's mortality--and it grows closer with every year and gets scary thinking about being orphaned--and it doesn't matter how old or mature you are when it happens--it's still a "season" of big change. Even if we know they'll be with Jesus, we'll see 'em later, we're fine-etc etc etc. Big sigh. But how blessed you are to have a pretty Olivia to bake cookies with, and a wonderful sis and a great God--whooooo hooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kav. I'm sorry to hear you've been fighting with your computer, but glad to have you back.

    I'm so grateful for your tender and caring heart. Keep praying. Mom's still struggling and I'll be traveling north again soon to see her.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti, thank you for popping in here. I can always use words of wisdom from you.

    I've never been very good about accepting change -- I feel so much cozier in my little ruts, but that's not how life was meant to be. So . . . I'll do my best to trust in The One who knows best and who walks every journey with me.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so beautiful! Love those eyes. It's hard to walk with our parents through these weak places, isn't it? Definitely a mental adjustment ... Things don't always stay the same. May the Lord continue to bless you with His presence as you minister to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Miriam, for your loving encouragement.

    I've never been one who adjusted to change easily so, yes, this is difficult, but we're not alone.

    And, yep, Livvy is a beauty with eyes just like her mama's. All of my family is a huge gift to me. I am so blessed!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis