Monday, October 24, 2011

Quiet Moments With God -- Walking a Tightrope--Do You Dare?


This week, while working on a Bible Study I was reminded of an inspiring incident that took place years ago while at a retreat. There were four speakers scheduled that weekend, with the last speaking on Sunday morning. We had a great three days filled with fun, words of wisdom, tears and laughter. We had a front row seat at God's production. I love retreats not just because it's an opportunity to build friendships and to grow in our faith, but God always surprises me in some way. That particular retreat was no exception.

On Sunday morning my sister Myrn was the speaker. She stood before the group, notes in hand. She'd worked hard to prepare--spent hours in prayer and more hours crafting just the right words. As she stood there a smile broke out on her face and then she shocked us all by tossing her notes over her shoulder where they fell to the floor. Wearing a playful expression she looked out at our surprised faces and said, "I had something prepared, but that's not what God wants me to talk about this morning."

I want that kind of faith and courage--to listen so closely to God that I hear Him even when He asks me to do something that makes me quake, to do what I know is beyond my own ability. He'd been speaking to Myrn throughout the weekend and by Sunday morning she knew He had another message to deliver other than the one she'd prepared. She did just that and quite eloquently. When we hand ourselves over to God He shines.

Often we rely on "us" instead of Him. I'm not saying we should always expect something dramatic, nor that we ought to ignore the wisdom and knowledge God has given us. But there are moments when God has something greater for us to do than what our small minds have conjured up--times when we have to toss away our grand plan and exchange it for God's.

Do we have the courage to move out of our comfort zone and take a risk? It may feel as if we're stepping onto a tight rope. But we have no reason to fear. Even if we fall, God will catch us.

I'm a planner. I rely on notes and calendars and lists. Letting go isn't easy for me. And yet, God has honored me by including me in His plans many times. The apostle Paul said to the Corinthians in the book of 1 Corinthians, "I came to you in weakness--timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied ONLY on the power of the Holy Spirit. I did this SO you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God."

God chose the foolish things of this world to shame the wise. We don't have to be wise or strong in ourselves, we only need to believe in The One who is wise, who is powerful. He will give us strength and the words to speak so we can tell others of His great love.

Try stepping out onto the tight rope of faith and see God shine.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

8 comments:

  1. Great reminder. I'm a planner too (I'm also a bit of a control freak) but I know things go WAY better when I let God lead. I have to remind myself that I am not the boss. Thank you for doing that for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TC, I completely relate. So glad my reminder was a help to you.

    May many blessings flow your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled when your sister threw her notes behind her something that I have did before mine was our of pure nervousness though. It is so true that you never know what god has in store for you each new day. And when he is speaking loud and clear we need to listen to his word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bonnie, for this encouragement! I love your devotionals ... talk about being used of the Lord here! Know that He blesses me each time with your words, even if I don't always respond.

    This encourages me concerning my mocking, Christ-hating brother. While my bro continues to rail against all things Christian, the Lord continues His steady, faithful work in all our lives. In the cacophony of disbelief around me, still I can stand on this foundation:He is Lord. He loves me, and I love Him. (Granted, it's a little easier saying that here than it is to my bro. But I'm learning to trust the Lord to walk that tightrope, from time to time.) Whew! :)
    Love you, dear sister! Looking forward to the time our paths will cross once again--face to face!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jewel, I'm laughing. I've dropped notes before, but never thrown them. : - )

    I'm doing my best to listen, but the learning never ends.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miriam, how wonderful to hear from you. And thank you for your encouraging words to me. You always lift me up.

    Much love to you. And I'm with you--praying I'll see you soon. A face to face chat is just what I need.

    Hugs to you, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "When we hand ourselves over to God He shines." Love the way you phrased that! You let Him shine in this post and many others! Thanks for your uplifting and thought-provoking words. They are especially needed these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kav, you make me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis