Monday, March 26, 2012

Quiet Moments With God -- Take A Risk


While preparing to leave for town today, my mind went wandering. It often does. I got to thinking about all I need to accomplish in the coming months. The list is long and I started to feel overwhelmed. I reminded myself that God is able. And yet, worry niggled though my mind. God is able . . . but am I?

My thoughts turned to scripture. Ephesians 3:20 says, "Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." Clearly God is way ahead of me and my worries. So the question hangs in the air -- Why do I worry? What is at the core of my doubts?

I have to go to a familiar story. In the midst of a storm Jesus approached the disciples in their boat in a most unusual fashion. He walked on the water. He said, "Don't be afraid. Take courage. I am here." Peter responded by saying, "Tell me to come to you, walking on water." Jesus answer was simple and straight forward. "Yes. Come." Peter climbed out of the boat and stepped onto the water and walked toward Jesus. And then he made a fatal error. He saw the strong wind and the waves, became terrified and sank.

When Peter first stepped out of the boat the storm was all around him, it didn't suddenly appear after he decided to walk to Jesus, but he walked anyway. It wasn't until he looked at the storm instead of Jesus that he got into trouble. That is so like me. I believe. I'm filled with hope. I step out. And then I take my eyes off Christ, off the prize and I sink.

Jesus response to Peter is stunning. Though he reaches out and saves Peter, he says, "You have so little faith. Why did you doubt me?" He didn't give Peter any slack. He got straight to the heart of the problem--faith. Who or what was Peter placing his faith in?

Society tells us to rely upon ourselves, our gifts, our strengths or on those things that are offered to us by the world. However, David states the answer to our problems in Psalm 63:8 "I cling to you, your strong right hand holds me securely." Only God has a firm hold on us. There is no security in the world.

Sometimes Peter was impulsive. He jumped to conclusions. He even denied Christ. But with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit he became a man of great faith. He was bold. He took risks. And his eyes were on his Lord and on his calling.

I want to be a Peter. I long to be unafraid. To be bold. And to find tranquility in the presence of my Lord, who offers peace and power. What I must do is keep my eyes on Him and accept His offering.

Have you had a Peter moment, stepped out in faith and then faltered? If we took a survey my guess is we all have. And even when we "fail" Jesus reaches out and lifts us up. Don't let one falter, or a hundred of them, leave you weakened and afraid. Get up. Try again. Take a risk.

Grace and peace to you from God,,

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, TC. God and His Word is my inspiration. I am nothing without Him.

    May you be showered with His blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No glub ~ glub ~ glub for Bonnie! It is good. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti -- laughing. There's been a lot of glubbing going on in my life. But less would be nice. ; - )

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis