Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quiet Moments With God--Yet I Will Rejoice in the Lord.

Habakkuk chapter three, verses 16 – 19 takes my breath away. Habakkuk lists all the things that will come against him and his people. Disaster will invade his homeland. Fig trees will have no blossoms, nor the vines have grapes. The olive crop will fail and the fields will lie empty and barren, the flocks will die in the field and the cattle barns will be empty. Habakkuk’s response? “YET I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights. "

Great calamity is coming against Habakkuk. And in verse sixteen he says, "I trembled inside when I heard this; my lips quivered with fear. My legs gave way beneath me and I shook in terror. Yet I will wait quietly . . ."

The “yet” in the last verse makes my heart ache for such faith. Habakkuk’s words to us are powerful and living. He speaks the truth, if only we will listen.

He is a man, in many ways, like us. He knows disaster is coming, and he’s afraid. He doesn’t pretend not to fear. But what he does with that fear makes me want to shout, “YES!” He rejoices. He sees the Lord as his strength, not the plans of men nor something he can do to fix the circumstances. He sees so clearly that what matters is who he is, a child of God. And God is his salvation.

The enemy throws darts at us, the world hurls storms, disasters, heartache, but we will not be undone if we remember where our strength lies. God is the one who placed the sun, the moon and the stars in the heavens. He created all the earth. He is our strength. There is no other who can match His power, love, and wisdom. He is our all in all. There is nothing too difficult for Him.

Praise Him.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis