Saturday, January 22, 2011

Quiet Moments With God -- The Key


There's a key to unlocking the door to contentment. It's right in front of us, but we often frantically look for it and can't find it. The reason is, we're looking in the wrong places.

That's me. I do it all the time--even after all the years I've walked with the Lord--I take wrong turns and get myself lost. In the last couple of years, it feels like my life has been one storm after another, and the last five months I've had so many darts hurled my way, I've lost count. The enemy has been at work. And life feels like one big question mark. I don't have the answers so I've done what I often do--worry and fret. Which, by the way doesn't help at all.

Life will always have challenges and surprises. We can't be certain what tomorrow will bring. Why then, do we get ourselves into a worry and fret cycle? At other times, even when we're thrown into the biggest train wreck, we feel peace and we're good right where we are, trusting God. What makes the difference? I guess that depends upon who we are. Usually our strengths are what get us into trouble--they become weaknesses because we depend upon them. We need to know what they are--the enemy does.

I'm a problem solver--I figure there has to be a way to "figure this one out". I've just got to think harder, get out paper and pencil and write down another list--that'll do it. Nope. That's not the way. Not for me, anyway. I want to rely on myself and my own mind. The natural gifts the Lord has given me are helpful, but before I go to them I first need to go to Him. He's the one with the answers. When I get that straight, then peace that passes all understanding drapes its gentle arms around me. Worry and stress slip away and leave me with God's blessed peace.

God's it. He's the answer--every time. He holds the key.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Bonnie. I've been dodging my own darts lately and Worry and Fret have been sitting on each shoulder. Ugh, how simple the concept of contment seems...well, is, actually...if we just let God be so He can do His work on us. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kav, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a rough time. I've struggled with contentment for more years than I'd like to admit. And I still find myself searching, once again, for the peace offered by God. But there are so many bright spots where He is all that matters and I am reminded of the beauty of this life and the one to come.

    Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis