Monday, January 14, 2013

Quiet Moments With God -- Discipleship

I love church. I love gathering with other believers. I love corporate worship. And I love being uplifted and challenged by God's Word.

While  listening to yesterday's Sunday sermon, the Holy Spirit spoke to my spirit. Quickly I scribbled down notes so I wouldn't forget.

I was strongly convicted about discipleship, specifically what my role should be as a disciple. What am I supposed to be doing for the Lord? Am I already doing it? Should I do more?

I don't have all the answers, but I do know that I am to be a disciple. Christ made it clear in Matthew 28:18-20 that being a disciples is NOT optional.

Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in 
heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, 
baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. and be sure of this
I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Matthew 28: 18-20


These were Jesus final words to his followers before he ascended into heaven. If I were leaving my loved ones for a very long time I would speak of what was most crucial. My final words would be of great import.

And so . . . I ponder. When Christ gave the Great Commission that we are to make disciples, what did He mean for me to do? I wrestle with this. Am I living in a way that makes a difference for Christ? Am I leading others to Him and helping them grow in knowledge and wisdom? I do a lot through my writing, but is that all I'm called to do?

During the election season I felt convicted to do more as a conservative--speak out politically. But when I look back, though it may be just what I was supposed to do, it's not really discipleship. A good cause is good, but if it doesn't help others grow in the Lord, then it is simply a good deed and hopefully helpful.

How can true change that is long-lasting be brought about by arguing issues? Transformation begins in the heart, brought about by the spirit of truth. I'm not against practicality. I believe God is practical. But, I'm also convinced that unless we get to the root of a problem there can be no true change, no restoration. 

I am not saying that we shouldn't be practical, and involved wherever we feel called--after all, what good is Godly words to a man starving for bread. Feed him, but do it with God's love and grace. And don't move on to the next project too quickly. Tarry a while, long enough to lay down foundations that will help uphold a new-found faith and launch a disciple on his journey with the Lord.

The world is filled with all sorts of opportunities for discipleship. What can you do that will make a difference in this world?

I would love to hear what you're doing for God.. Hearing your stories may well give me new ideas and they will certainly uplift my spirits.

Grace and peace to you from God,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis