Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tips For Triumphant Living--Remember Where We Started

I’ve longed for contentment. And yet, I've not fully found it yet. I’m goal oriented, which very likekly makes me more prone to being discontent. It's especially hard because the environment most Americans live in tells us to want it all and to expect it all.

God’s Word says we are to be content. In I Timothy 6 Paul says, Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing let us be content.

Like all human beings I came into this world with nothing; in fact I was naked and didn’t even know it. All I cared about was keeping my tummy full (some things never change), staying warm and needing the touch of another human being. My mom and dad provided those things. Other expectations didn’t set in until much later.

Thinking back, I’ve wasted many hours dreaming of things I hoped to own or hoped to achieve. I’ve spent way too much time thinking about worthless pursuits. Sadly, if I’d focused more of my heart and brain on God and His ambitions for me I would have led a life that contained more contentment.

I’ve not given up on the pursuit of true happiness, which can only be found within God’s will. I turn my heart to Him more and more. He has the important things in mind, the things that really matter, like the lost and hurting souls in this world. He’s not so concerned about bigger paychecks or nicer homes or better cars.

Being human sometimes makes me feel small. If one is self-absorbed it makes for a small world. Often we lose sight of true riches, that of loving God and others well. What joy awaits us when we set our minds upon God and put feet to our faith. Then we are able to fulfill the great commission, to love others, and to be up to God's business instead of our own.

When we seek the Lord we will find Him, and there we will also discover joy and contentment, just as a baby does lying in its mother's arms.

Grace and peace to you from God.



I'll be at my daughter's wedding and then teaching at a writing conference. So, look for my next letter on August 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis