Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Quiet Moments With God -- Dry Bones?

For several months I’ve been pushing my way through what’s felt like a marathon. I had a book due, there were several speeches to present, appearances to make, and interviews to give. Plus, there’s life. Sometimes it felt as if I were approaching the finish line, but didn’t have the strength to carry through. I’m certain God carried me the last month.

Three weeks ago my rest began. The first week off I was so exhausted that no matter how much I tried to relax it didn’t feel like rest. My adrenaline was still going. The following week the effects of pushing too hard for too long set in. Ouch!

I’m in the midst of my third week of rest and only now am beginning to feel more clear headed and the pain in my body is slowly dissipating. I'm praising God for that.

Today when I came across Ezekiel 37:1 – 14 I felt as if God were speaking directly to me. I’ve been feeling like dry bones. I failed to listen to God and the plans He intended for me. Instead I chose my own course and paid a price. I’m thankful God is merciful and patient.

He does not give up on us. In the thirty-seventh chapter of Ezekiel, the Lord asks Ezekiel, “Son of man, can these bones become living people again?” Ezekiel replied, “You alone know the answer to that.”

The bones represented Israel who said, “We have become old, dry bones—all hope is gone. Our nation is finished.”

God put those bones back together, covered them with flesh and muscle and breathed life into them. He can do that, for you and me. Our dry bones can be made new and vibrant. But if that’s to happen God must be first in our life. When He speaks we need to listen and then obey.

It hurts a bit to have your bones put back together and the flesh and muscle put back on, but the breath of life, well that’s pure joy. I’m resting in the Lord now, breathing in God’s fragrance and looking forward to HIS plans for me. I pray I listen well this time.

God's plans are the only ones we should pursue. When we do, walking with Him is a delight.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

4 comments:

  1. Bonnie, praying for you during this time of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, you're such a good friend. Thank you.

    Hugs to you --

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    Praying for green pastures and still waters for you. I ordered Enduring Love from Amazon this morning and am anxiously awaiting it:) Something about getting a good book in the mail is such a blessing. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Laura--green pastures and still waters sound heavenly. :-)

    Hope you enjoy Enduring Love.

    Grace and peace to you,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis