Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Tips For Triumphant Living -- Don't Forget To Smile

While reading scripture this morning and thinking about all my "obligations" I was struck by my serious nature. It's good to be thoughtful, even reflective. But in this daunting world I think there are too many somber, dour faces out there. If you're one of them, don't beat yourself up--we're only human.

When I saw this truth about my nature it hit me in the gut. I need to "chill", at least a bit. I need to smile more, laugh more and spend more time thinking about the wonders in this world, and the gift of life.

I think God wants us to have fun. If not, why did He give us to much to enjoy?

Philippians 4:8 says, "Whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Good advice. We need to get out of the grumpies and consider the wonders around us. If I were to make a list of things that bless my life it would begin with a husband who loves me (even after 40 years together), a caring family, grandchildren who live close and who make me laugh, every day. There's nothing that warms me more than chubby arms wrapped around my neck and a kiss from a little one who says, "I love you, grandma." On my list I'd also have to include good friends, a beautiful home set in one of the most stunning places on earth, and I must not forget that I have a Lord who loves me just as I am and who died for me so I might live.

With all these blessings, and more, how can I feel grumpy? The sad answer is ingratitude. In light of this revelation I'm mortified at my lack of thankfulness. I have lots to smile about. I'll have to make sure to include praise time in my prayer time. :-)

You might like to put your own list together--write down all the good stuff in your life. I bet there's more than you realize. And when it's written down, post it some place where you'll see it every day, then remember to be grateful.

Grace and peace to you from God.

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis